Export pdfs not printing properly

nevillem

Since installing Snow Leopard and updating to Vectorworks 2011 both old and new pdf files created via export pdf are causing various printing problems (I am using an A2 Epson Stylus Pro 3800) . It is only pdfs created via Vectorworks export pdf and opened in Adobe that are problematic - those opened in Preview or created via the print dialogue box or created from other programmes such as Photoshop are fine. Both Apple and Epson have both stated that in this case it must be a Vectorworks issue.

The main problem appears to occur if the sheet layer from which the pdf file is created contains a large imported Tiff file such as an OS map typically 24-bit around 700KB. In this case printing an A3 pdf file takes about 30 minutes during which my MacPro hangs and crawls to snail space and is unusable. Other minor problems of misprinting, of small imported tiff and jpg files such as logos etc, are occurring but without affecting the printing time. These items imported as PICT files are fine Anybody any ideas? Anybody having similar problems ?

• 2 months later...

Yes - PDFs exported from VW2011 become almost impossible to plot - I have been waiting for over an hour now for an A1 with some rendered jpg images imported into the VW file, and I expect it will print corrupted when its done. Trying to reduce the file size in Acrobat doesn't complete - so like you, I expect that its (another) bug in VW2011 in the way in which it processes PDFs.

Seriously, the list of 'issues' I'm coming up against in VW2011 beggars belief. Do Nemetshek actually test this stuff before they put it out, or do they just take the coders word for it that 'its done'?

This issue has been taken up directly with Nemetschek by Computers Unlimited, the main distributers of Vectorworks here in the UK. It appears there may be various issues relating to printing that Nemetschek are looking into and feedback is awaited. There is some suggestion that the issue of Service Pack 3 due out soon is being held back while these problems are sorted. I think we can conclude that the problem is unlikely to be to do our system software -so that is some progress at least. Will post again if I hear further from Nemetschek via Computers Unlimited.

Recalling that TIFF-JPG image > rasterizes, whereas, PICT > vectorizes.

OSX handles both operations via print calls to CUPS.

In these weird situations it is also possible to utilize CUPS with Gutenprint PPDs

or as noted ... conversion via Preview, et al.

Sometimes there's just no other way around these strange printing problems.

Useful point, however when paying the amount one does to purchase Vectorworks and subsequent updates I'm afraid the least I expect it to do is print properly. Last time I grappled with CUPS it completely messed up my printer and I can't risk that again with client deadlines to meet. Lets hope this is resolved with Service pack 3.