C4D Version

Hi

I currently use vw2008 with C4D10 (I own vw2010 but prefer vw2008-both with Renderworks). I would like to upgrade both C4D and vw in future and I would like to use/have the link between the 2 programs using the "send to cinema 4d" command.

Question: If I upgrade my C4D10 to C4D12 Prime, would I be able to do the above or do I need C4D 12 Visual?

There's a huge price difference and if anyone could shed some light on this matter, I would appreciate it. If anyone owns Prime and can get the "link" to work, please let me know.

Thanks,

Hi Shaun,

Thats bit of complex question,

There are some Threads related to that topic

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30421&Number=149319#Post149319

The Render Engine is the advanced renderer with all the capabilities of Global ilumination

The difference ist the interface for the Lighting, render Settings and the Material editor.

The send to C4d Comamnd produces results that is very different from the result the Maxon plugin creates!

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30240&Number=148266#Post148266

I havent yet tested the Send to C4D Command with VW2011 SP2,

But I got good results using the 3ds export as Bases of work in C4d.

There is also a new plugin on the Maxon Webiste, that supports the Export of Symbols, and produces a usable (and known fom previous versions) File structure in C4D.

Unfortuately the export of Camera Objects from VW to C4d ist gone with Maxon plugin.

My Opinion is, that for the production of Stills, and if you don't miss the Material Editor of C4d Renderworks 2011 is whats needed, as you get the C4D 11.5 Advanced Render engine.

The new and very surprising feature called Linear worklflow is a feature of C4D 12 (I love that!) it produces very smooth looking renderings "out oft the Box" with a minimum of try and error for the settings.

An advantage would be the C4d Visualize, as it has a huge Library of very good textures, and Scenic elements, and some advanced Features for animations and walkthroughs.

So, the main problem for the Moment is, that the C4D render engine in VW2011 is hidden undter the Interface of Renderworks, that is hardly explained in the Helpfile.

But for most Users this is for shure a big advantage, as VW Users don't need to learn a complete new interface.

Edited by Horst M.

Thanks for your reply Horst M.

I think you mis-understand a little :grin:

Renderworks in the past was no use to me for creating perspective presentations therefore my workflow has moved away from Renderworks. I only use renderworks for working drawings like elevations, iso's, etc. with basic rendering features. ...So although renderworks has improved and has the C4D engine, it isn't my question.

As I said I've moved away from rw and I now use VRAYforC4D but I need to upgrade C4D because version 10 isn't compatible with the latest version of VrayforC4D. Seeing I'm upgrading C4D, it would be nice to keep a link with the working drawing in vectorworks by using the "send to C4D" command.

Therefore all I would like to know is:

which version of C4D...

C4D Prime

OR

C4D Visualise

Which of the above would be compatible with "send to C4D"? I suspect Prime will work but I just want to be sure.

BTW, I see you have C4D Studio which is the full package so I'm sure it will work for you so I'm not sure whether you could help me. ;) ...I need someone with Prime only. :)

Hello Shaun.

The send to C4D command comes with VW 2011, and doesn't require a plugin from C4D. (It may require Renderworks though).

Given that you are using VRAYforC4D rendering engine, I think you can get away with the base version of C4D Prime, as you will not need the Advanced Render Module. Best way is to get onto Maxon's website or ring your distributor.

Two questions. Do you have a completely different set of textures for VRAY? I imagine C4D Advanced Render textures are mostly incompatible with VRAYforC4D?

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply Diamond.

I've sent a question to maxon about this-just thought someone here could help just in case they don't get back to me. :)

I want to get the Prime version for the exact reason you mention but I'm not sure if Prime will accept the "send to C4D" command.

Basic C4D materials can be rendered with Vray (but not vice-versa) however to make full use of Vray you need to use Vray materials. It's not a problem because you can convert existing C4D materials to Vray materials. So IOW, you can model in vw then export to C4D (using the old plug-in or new send to c4d) and c4d will assign material as per instructions from the plug-in, then simply convert those materials to vray.

The above sounds more complicated than it is but it's very simple and straight forward :) .