2010 install failed.

Ken,

Below is a copypaste of another reply to a similar issue of which I think is basically the same as your problem.

The same problem can occur in Windows Vista and has most likely to do with UAC (User Access Control). I have it installed on two Vista computers, and on one I had the same problem as you and on the other one it installed without this issue.

Did you try installing it as Administrator? (Right mouseclick on the install file and then Run as Administrator)

If yes and the problem persists then you could try another option...

If you browse the installation DVD (assuming you have one) then in one of the folder's subdirectories called "Data" you should find a series of files named Main2011xx.exe, Fundamentals2011xx.exe etc. etc.

xx is something after 2011, but that may not apply to the US version. I have the Dutch version, so in my case xx equals NL (i.e. Main2011NL.exe) In your case it might be Main2011US.exe or just Main2011.exe

Run the Main2011.exe installer as administrator. All other modules will be added as necessary based on your license.

After the installation has been done and you start Vectorworks 2011 it may either run without problems or the Windows UAC may kick in and ask you to allow Vectorworks 2011 to run. In the worst case you will have that UAC dialog pop up every time you run Vectorworks 2011

I hope this helps.

Ken,

It could be that the installation media and folders are a bit different from the localised versions over here.

Based on the list of folder, I'd guess it might be the packages folder that contains the needed installation files.

If the setup of install files is similar, but just in different locations then you may find the files in another folder.

Try browsing all your folders (try the packages folder first) until you find a folder that lists .exe files with fundamentals, landmark, architect etc. in the filenames.

You may still have a .exe file with "main" in it and that would most likely be the starting file for installing vectorworks. If you run that one as administrator it may work.

If you cannot find such a filder then tech support from Nemetschek might be able to tell you which file you can use to start the installation of vectorworks other than the "install VWexe" (which is probably just a starter application but probably not the actual vectorworks installer file).

As a point of clarification, as I said in the other thread, the installation is not the same in the US as in the Netherlands.

Could you try emailing me directly with your InstallerLog.txt? Perhaps there will be a clue there.

Did you check if Vectorworks has access rights to certain folders it needs to be able to access? (i.e not just read but also write access)

Your IT may have restricted access to certain system folders and perhaps this is causing VW not being able to access required files and therefore it fails to start up.

VW tech support should be able to tell you which for which files/folders VW needs to be able to have read/write access.

Edit: I'm not specifying those files/folders here as they might be different from the NL installations and don't want to create confusion on this.

Edited by Art V

I'd start asking questions of your IT department as to what they've changed about this system. Like Art V, I'd have to guess they've changed permissions somehow either in access to the registry or the Program Files directory as a first guess.