3D dimensions all screwy

There is a thread that shows workarrounds for the "lost text in Rendered Viewports" Problem:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30412&Number=149252#Post149252

but the rotated and mirrored Dimensions in Christaan's imgae are really "funny"....

I've tried to get it on a Design Layer or in a Viewport and couldn't.

and even with the duplicated Viewports Workarround I'm so happy to be able o use 3d DImensions

Edited by Horst M.

Christiaan's dimensions look distorted because he is in a perspective view. Revert back to an orthogonal view and they will not be distorted in that way.

Text on layer planes does not mirror visually so when you look at it from behind the layer plane you are looking at its back and hence why it is the 'wrong' way round. Text like that needs to be placed from the side it will be looked at.

Ultimately these are not really 3D dimensions. They are just 2D text that can be placed onto a layer plane.

They don't associate to a 3D object, they don't render properly in Viewports, they don't recognise 3D curves, arcs or circles and they don't update with changes to the design.

My fear, and I hope I'm wrong, is that VW think that they have finally given us 3D dimensioning and leave it at that, because as it stands at the moment, and in my opinion they haven't.

Please can we have really 3D dimensioning!

I agree with all of that, however... This functionality is in its infancy. It can obviously be improved. I think the best thing for us (users) to do is to file bugs and/or wishes, and hope that the team is listening with both ears....

I have attached a screenshot of a simple cube, in isometric view, with (what I consider) adequate dimensions. The dimensions exist in the design layer.

FWIW, the reason 3d dimensions do not really work in SLVP's is that there can be only "screen plane" objects in annotation space. While this is too bad, it isn't the end of the world. Hopefully in future versions we will have improved 3d dimensions, including the ability for annotation space objects to be "3d" aware. But for now this is a huge improvement which is workable IF the user puts in the appropriate amount of forethought and time...

Peter,

I'm good with all you say, but so much hoopla was made about VW 2011's new 3D capabilities, if you recall it was the subject of one of the teaser videos. Then I get 2011 and find 3D dimensioning is pretty much useless, and I'm told that I need to be patient and wait for future versions to improve the functionality. I have to say that does not make me happy. Without 3D dimensioning, for me and the work I do, VW 2011 is no different than VW 2010. I won't be fooled again! (? The Who... Thanks).

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
.... IF the user puts in the appropriate amount of forethought and time...

Hi Peter

I agree with most of what you say but it still doesn't help when you have many, many parts of a mechanism that all need 3 views AND 3 views of dimensions. The number of classes trebles and then the dimensions do not render properly so I have to put 2 VPs on top of each other one with the dimensions rendered in wire frame and the other with the rendered view.

Hardly practical!!

I live in hope though....

I wish the Nemetschek engineers luck making this better. It all relates to the 3D, 2D, screen plane, layer plane mess, and trying to combine the 2d and 3d environments. I'm hoping someday everything is 3d, and you can chose in the OIP to view an object always "face-on." 2d drawings are viewed in Top/Plan. Text has an option to always be viewed face-on, but dimension witness lines are always 3d, unless viewed in Top/Plan.

• 3 weeks later...