lines on top of lines

If you mean one has, for example 20 300mm lines in the same XY location & you would like to find all of them you can hold the Shift & Option (alt I think in Wintel) then use your Pointer to draw a Marque that intersects the visible line. Next look in your Object Info Pallet & the number of lines will be visible called out.

If you have selected other items that are NOT the same kind of item (a group or a poly) the info in the OiP will read something like 20 Objects.

Bill,

To expand on Jim's advice ... once you have all the objects selected, hold the shift key and click on the stack of objects. This will de-select the top object of the stack that you select, leaving the rest of the stack selected. Then just press the DELETE key, and you will be left with one instance.

Be careful though: if not all the objects in the stack are the same, the one that you de-select could not be the one you thought. That's what the UNDO command is for.

As far as identifying them, I think there's a plug-in that does that (and delete them) I can't remember whose.

As for where they come from: in Widows the Ctrl-click duplicates things.

It's very easy to try to Shift-click and get the wrong one instead.

The record for my students is 17 identical Walls.

Here's what I do: if there are 2 superimposed objects, First I select one, if it is the wrong one I select both then while holding down shift I once again select(in essence deselect) the first one and voila.

Now if you have several superimposed: select the one 'on top' if it is wrong, 'send to back' and repeat until you find the right one, this of-course is a bitch if the order in which they are stacked is important (i.e. when using masks etc.)

If you have several superimposed objects select all and you can toggle through the different ones one at a time using the arrows at the top right of the OIP>Shape dialog, problem is you need to know the order in which the objects are stacked, neither the OIP nor the Attributes dialog show which one you have toggle to :confused:

In ArchiCAD you can simply tab through the different stacked objects, I have pointed this out to NV and added it to the wish list for some time now........apparently to no avail.

Edited by Vincent C
  • 1 year later...