DWG Exporting

It's great that hatched walls export well, but the hatching doesn't seem to respect interruptions in the wall, such as inserted doors and windows. The hatch pattern continues through the opening in the exported file. Our consulting engineers can't use our drawings this way. Am I missing something?

In the VW drawing are the doors and windows intersecting the hatch?

What type of file are you exporting as?

What version of VW are you using?

In VW, doors and windows, when placed correctly will intersect the wall/hatch cavity(s).

What version AutoCad is the file being opened on?

I am not able to duplicate the problem you are having.

I went into VW Arch 9.5. Drew 4 walls, applied 2 cavities each with a different hatch. Then inserted a couple doors and windows from the symbols library. I went to File>Export>Export DXF/DWG. I selected DWG revision 14 to export as a revision 14 file and I did the same for version 2000. I left the rest of the settings the default value. I then went to AutoCad 2000 and opened both version 2000 file and the revision 14 file. The walls appear to have the doors and windows cut in the wall and the hatches appear corectly.

Are there any above mentioned steps that you did differently ?

I'm using VWA9.5 on a PC, Exporting to AutoCad v2000 and v14.

Went through the drill agian, just as you did.

Also generated a drawing on a Mac G4 and exported it to AutoCad14. And opened it on the PC. I've tried it on a new drawing in each (PC and Mac platform). In other words, I've tried it every which-a-way.

Same thing each time: The inserted doors and windows do cut the wall (in Autocad), but the hatching (default) doesn't; the hatch pattern keeps running through the door and window openings in the AutoCad drawing.

Maybe it's the air in GA.

Well this is strange that I can and you can't by perfomring the same tasks.

Is this happening on all your files or just one or two files ?

I'll look into this a little more and I'll try it again. I'll take snapshots and upload them here. If you want, you can email one of the problem files to me and I'll take a look at it. You can send it to tech@nemetschek.net and put it to my attention. It should make it to me that way.

Okay here is the difference --

When you use a cavity and apply a hatch to the wall, it exports correctly.

If you use the attribute palette to hatch the wall, it does not export correctly.

I will have to look into this further to see why it is doing this.

At least we know that by using wall cavities, you can get the correct results when exporting to DXF/DWG.

Different PCs or types of AutoCad 14 and 2000 shouldn't matter. The problem was with the actual trasnlation of a specific object from one product to another. Upon further investigation it was determined that it was the way in which the hatch was applied to a wall that was causing the object to be represented differently.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Erich, This seems to be a bug and has since been fixed. The problem will be in VW 9.5 but is fixed for the next version.

A workaround until that is available is to create a cavity that is the entire thickness of the wall and apply a hatch to that cavity.

Erich,

The problem should be fixed in the next update. If you can sit tight until then, that is what I would recommend. If you change it now, you will then have to change it back when the bug is fixed in the next update. (if you want it back to the other way)