Beam Rendering

Guest Demfis Fyssicopulos

Dear all,

Is there a way to have the beam of a "light" be rendered when rendering in "Final Quality Renderworks". The beam is rendered in "Fast Renderworks" but not on final quality. Can someone shine some light (punt) on this?. Many thanks.

df

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you have the light switched on in the Visualisation palette?

Or do you instead have Draw Beam checked on the Object Info palette? Turn it off there and ensure that the light is on in the Visualization palette. Then it will show in a final render. It should not pass through objects UNLESS you have a) edited the light and unchecked Cast Shadows or b) you have edited the texture on the surface that the light is hitting and unchecked Cast Shadows.

Dear Tamsin,

Thanks for the reply. Draw Beam is not checked. The desired lights are on in the Visualization Palette. Cast Shadows is Checked. I am running VW2010 with Renderworks. When I do a Fast Render the light beam (in the air) show. WHen I do a Final Render, the light in the air does not draw, just when it hits the subject. Any ideas?

df

When you check Lit Fog, a Renderworks Background should be created in the Resource Browser. You can edit this resource to change the intensity of the fog. You might want to check the settings here.

Otherwise, I'm happy to have a look at it. If you want to copy the offending light into a blank file and send it to me I'll take a look.

tamsin@vectorworks-training.co.uk

No problem. I've sent you the file with the lights showing their beams now.

The symbol you are using in the dark light is one that seems to contain some geometry that obscures the beam. Editing the symbol and applying the Default Instrument Texture (which is set not to cast shadows) fixes the problem. Lit fog also doing its stuff.