convert to lighting position grayed out?

Jeff B

Has to be a super-dumb question - I created a bunch of lighting positions yesterday with no problem. Happily got to creating more this morning but when I get to the part where I've got my 2D line and my 3D extrude grouped and selected, the "convert to light position" option (under the Spotlight menu) is grayed out. Seems to stay gray no matter whether I select a line or an extrude or a group or what. Gotta be something simple right !?

Jeff

Group the 2D and 3D parts first. Then convert to light position.

VW will only convert a group (or a 2D only object or a 3D only) to a position.

If you make the 2D and 3D geometry into a symbol first, then you can insert the symbol as a position

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

Bingo Josh, I was in "top" not "top/plan." Good to know. (Try finding that little tidbit in "VW Help" - ? Thank goodness for this forum!)

Your plug-in objects look very cool. As a learning/practice exercise I'm going to keep creating my own for a while but I'll check out your website further in the near future.

Thanks much,

Jeff

btw, my knowing to group the 2D/3D objects was scarcely "instinct" (so far my VW instincts are neanderthal at best) but rather learned through invaluable in-person instruction from the inimitable michaelk, the other responder to my post and a truly great (but apparently sleep-deprived) guy.

Edited by Jeff B

Quick hint -- the rules for whether a menu item are simple and transparent, IF you know where to look.

Select Tools>Scripts>Vectorworks Plug-In Editor... Select the name of the menu item you wish to examine. Hit the Properties button. You will see the requirements for that menu item to be available. Please note that while these options are unlocked, making changes could make the menu item fail.

-Josh