file deletion

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by whitecap:
ok so i'm using windows.........i believe i have deleted the related files but they still appear on my files list in the program. ........and does this mean i do not have the ability to SIMPLY delete files within the vw program itself?

That is correct. VectorWorks also does not check that the files in the recent files list still exist.

hi mike46, thanks for the reply........as i indicated origanally i'm really green at this, i'm working with janis kent's tutorial as well as the manuals, and the media reis foundation cd and because it's probably right in front of my eyes i can't find/access the open dialog box........how do i get there? i'll try your procedure and i was also refering to the recently open files box........thanks inadvance, whitecap

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by mike46:
Hi I'm not sure I understand .but in the open dialog box I can right click on a file name and select delete from the drop down and it's gone (although not form the recent list in the file menue if thats what you mean ?)

mike

I'd forgotten about deleting from "File Open". That code is distinct from VectorWorks -- I think we just call a program written by someone else (Microsoft/Apple probably) -- and thus VectorWorks isn't really involved in that file deletion. Thus it doesn't know the file has been deleted and should be removed from the recent files list.

I believe we don't ever check the recent files to see if they still exist, both for performance reasons and because they might be on a networked or removable drive that isn't currently available, but you might want to access the file again when the network is back up.

mike,thanks for getting back, mom always said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.........i hit file>open>documents>vw9.5 , and it was empty.........i presume that i did indeed empty the associated files earlier and i can see that i would have the ability to delete any created files in this manner thank you the recently open files is still active, i have the impression that this function is always in place and is nothing to focus on at this time

also i had e-maild nna tech with my questions and recieved delayed responses at best, it seems this is the place to go for help. is this accurate and common knowledge that i just figured out?

whitecap