the degree symbol

don

...but the arroganti and ignorami representing - what: less that 0.5% of the world's population.....but know nothing about the real world...

Petri has been pressing [Option]+[8] on his calculator again.

World Population: 7 billion

USA Population: 310 million

arroganti/ignorami percentage: 4.4% (not 0.5%)

-

VectorGeek

Resident of the real world, not a resident of the Petrisphere

Harbinger of fact

Texas Instruments 4-function calculator, circa 1976

Favorite TV Show: Finland Idol

Edited by VectorGeek

Is that so?

Well, since billion is 10^12, the percentage is actually 0.004%.

Thank you for correcting my hasty calculation!

January 20, 2011

Helsinki (AP) - A Finnish architect has been brought before the High Council of Reindeer on charges that he has designed a building that is too small to be inhabited. Petri Sakinnen, who goes by several aliases in order to avoid detection by the dreaded Ignorami, apparently used a faulty calculator to design the building. As a result, the main living areas were 1/100th the size they should be. Sakinnen has maintained his innocence however, and laid blame solely at the feet of the rest of humanity. The new miniature buildings have been dubbed "Petridomes" and will be auctioned off next month to the thousands of homeless muskrats in Finland. Should the auction raise enough money, Sakinnen has vowed to retire his Fisher-Price calculator in favour of one that can perform basic mathematical functions.

V-G

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Billion may refer to:

In numbers:

Long and short scales

1,000,000,000 (number), one thousand million, 10^9, in the short scale (most common meaning)

1,000,000,000,000 (number), one million million, 10^12, in the long scale (seldom used in contemporary English)

Never use a common meaning when a seldom used one can be used instead ;-)

Hey, Geek: tell your bank manager that the one North-American peso you have in your account is in fact 1000 pesos!

Million: 10^6

Billion: 10^12

Trillion: 10^18

Of course I'm talking about international standards (SI), not some home-spun hill-billy expressions.

My good young man, I hereby quote Oxford:

How many is a billion?

In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

The same sort of change has taken place with the meaning of trillion. In British English, a trillion used to mean a million million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000). Nowadays, it's generally held to be equivalent to a million million (1,000,000,000,000), as it is in American English.

I know this is a difficult concept Petri, but apply that keen Baltic mind and you'll get it. Of course, you may want to verify my source with one of the trillions of Finnish people.

P.S.: Who's the hillbilly now?

PWNED!

VectorGeek.

Edited by VectorGeek
Deary me,

"Usage of the two systems can be a subject of controversy. Differences in opinion as to which system should be used can evoke resentment between adherents, while national differences of any kind can acquire jingoistic overtones"

Regardless of Petri's confusion over grade 4 mathematics, the USA being approximately 4.4% of the world's population is undeniable.

Ask any of the quadrillion VectorWorks users.

VectorGeek (v^12)

Looks like somebody got a little off topic!!!!!!

As for the difference that Pat Stanford pointed out I did some digging and option+shift+8 should be used when adding degrees to VW tools or most GPS Total Stations. Option 0 dose not play friendly (kinda like a few on this thread).

Info supplied, have fun folks!

P.S.: Who's the hillbilly now?

You are. The total number of people like you who don't any maths at all it approximately 400 hillions. In short scale.

Please edit your post and use proper English, not Finnglish.

[Moderator - Please lock this thread as I am running out of witty retorts, and Petri ran out of them in 1998.]

VectorGeek

International Man of Mystery

• 10 years later...

All of these responses are useless with regard to Vectorworks.  I am Mac user and shift+option+8 creates a degree symbol in all instances EXCEPT in Vectorworks. I don't know why this is or how to get around it. Perhaps its a font issue. Would love to know the answer without all the snark. 

Sht-Opt-8 works fine for me in VW.

It is possible that that glyph is not defined in the font you are using.

I would use Font Book to check.  Set the View to Custom so you can enter the text you want including a degree symbol. Then pick the font you are trying to use in VW and see if the degree shows up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Sht-Opt-8 works fine for me in VW.

It is possible that that glyph is not defined in the font you are using.

I would use Font Book to check.  Set the View to Custom so you can enter the text you want including a degree symbol. Then pick the font you are trying to use in VW and see if the degree shows up.

@Mainer just tested here on MBP, Big Sur, VW 2021. Confirming Shift+Option+8 = °