Workgroup referencing - missing layers

On Jan 15, Katie posted a message regarding missing layers when updating, but the point seems to have been lost. If the file is not converted to VW 9, then it won't find the file -- not just layers.

All of our users are in VW 9.5.

We have old projects converted from VW 8.52 *and* new projects created in VW 9.0 which continually come up with unfound layer error messages while trying to update references when files are first opened; the message is similar to one you would get if someone renamed or deleted layers in the base file.

We have noticed that the update will find one or two layers within a base file, but everything after that cannot be found. This will happen in one or more files referenced to a sheet file. As the list of unfound layers gets longer, the unfound layer message gets longer: from simple "" to longer garbled names such as "*(@#$^@(^@KGDI."

We have had *temporary* success with rebuilding the desktop, simply closing VW and reopening, simply restarting, completely breaking the reference and remaking it, or even just re-referencing the missing layers. These will work for a day or even a week, but the problem always resurfaces.

I've seen this before with regular drawings that are not referenced but have been updated from VW 8 to VW 9. It had to do with a corrupted class or layer (usually a layer). The resolution was to export the file to VW 8, then import the file in VW 9 again. For some reason the translation isn't converting all the layers properly or it's creating this extra corrupted layer. It's not something we are able to duplicate on the fly. If you would like, you can submit the file(s) to tech@nemetschek.net to the attn of Katie and I will add them to the buglist for further examination of what might be causing this.

Of course anytime you have an offending layer or class in a drawing, the drawing is then corrupt. The file may work intermittently which is why the problem seems to crop up every now and then. An alternative is to copy and paste the drawing into a new blank document, disregarding the offending layers that are mysteriously being created.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

We have had this problem as well, I even brought a CD with a sample of this to MWSF and showed the guys up there. Like the first poster this is both in projects that have been updated to VW9 from 8.5.2, and files wholly created in 9/9.5

The Nemetschek guys in SF thought it was possibly a network thing. I don't recall if the first poster mentioned what system she was on, but we are an entirely Mac office, mostly OS 9 Clients on a Mac OS X 10.1.2 Server.

I'd love to see a resolution to this

Katie's 2.11.02 post:

quote:

... or it's creating this extra corrupted layer....An alternative is to copy and paste the drawing into a new blank document, disregarding the offending layers that are mysteriously being created.

We do not have mysterious layers appearing. We will try thr export/reimport option, though. Thanks.

BTW: We are on a wholly Mac system. All of our computers are operating on OS9.2.1 except for three of us testing OS X.

Sarah

Sarah, If the export/import doesn't help you can send in one (or more) of the problem files and I can have someone take a look at it and see what might be causing the problem.

If export/import does resolve the problem, it would be helpful to us to get a copy of the offending file for testing purposes. That way we can take a look at where in the conversion process theoffending layers are going all wrong and try to fix it for future versions. Of course, this is strictly volunteer - send in the file only if you want to. The files will not be used for anything other than testing purposes and will stay in house only.

This is a problem I have noticed occasionally on the mac platform. I do not think I've seen it on the PC platform, at least not that I can recollect off the top of my head. It's also something we have not been able to duplicate by creating a VW 8 file with certain settings and converting it to VW 9. Without the capabilities of duplicating problems, it's often very difficult to fix whatever may be broken.

PS -- Were any of these files or any parts of these files created in VW Architect 1.0.1 ?

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

• 2 weeks later...

Katie,

The export/import solution to our missing layer problem seems to be working. Two teams have now done this, and their drawings are no longer corrupted; I have a third team exporting/importing this morning. It's a fix, but not a permanent one -- considering the first drawings exported/imported were pure VW9. Thanks for the help, and keep me posted on your progress with the drawings we sent you last week.

Sarah

P.S. -- In case anyone else has to do this, we have noticed that you have to *completely* break all the references to your drawing -- including deleting the referenced layers. Once you have exported/imported *all* of your drawings, you have to recreate all your referencing. Painful, but less painful than constant corruption!