Vectorworks 2011 = SLOOOW!!

Another thing I'm really loving in VW2011 is when you import JPEGs and you just get a grey box with a cross though it, not the image. Or sometimes you get the image imported fine, but a bit later on, VW2011 arbitralily decides to change the image you imported to a grey box with a x through it.

Is there a mailing list when we can sign up for to find out when VW2011 goes 'ex-beta' and becomes ready for the market?

Nemetshek are severely taking the mickey with this release. I am just cross I wasn't at my current practise the day they got mugged into upgrading from VW2008. What a waste of cash that was for us.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I'm really loving in VW2011 is when you import JPEGs and you just get a grey box with a cross though it, not the image

Are the layer options set to "show others"?

You will get a grey box when you are on a different layer than the .jpg layer & layer option set to "grey others".

Edited by crosetti
Another thing I'm really loving in VW2011 is when you import JPEGs and you just get a grey box with a cross though it, not the image

Are the layer options set to "show others"?

You will get a grey box when you are on a different layer than the .jpg layer & layer option set to "grey others".

Yep, trust me, I'm really not that daft at using VW! All layers visible, show, snap modify others, even if you're on the active layer this problem arises. Sometimes it imports in fine, sometimes as a grey box. Sometimes it imports fine then arbitralily changes itself to a grey box. Its a bug alright.

For those of you afflicted by this import image issue appearing as a mid-grey box with a cross though it, the best workaround I've found to date is to open it in preview, save it as a PDF and then import it as a PDF. VW2011 seems to resist the temptation to redraw it as a grey box when you import it as a PDF, as opposed to an image file.

I had asked computers unlimited to look into this as vw's support provider in the UK, but they are typically so slow at coming back to you that you end up working out some sort of workaround in the time it takes.

I'm pretty sure it should be better than this...

Edited by jrhartley

Have been a VW Architect & Renderworks user since 2008. Upgraded to VW2011 from VW2009. Have since upgraded to new MacBook Pro, then upgraded that to 8GB ram and solid state hard drive. But VW 2011 is seriously sow. Cinema 4D is very fast compared to previous rendering, but rendering is presentation fluff when it's the city & contractors who need 2D B&W drawings to get the building built.

VW 2011 Problems:

- does not fully use multi-core processors (although cinema 4D does)

- elevations & sections redraws are dysfunctionally slow

- sheet set publishing PDF almost unbearably slow

- file sizes are getting too big on (even when purged)

- plus I've experienced almost all problems mentioned above.

Solution: ArchiCAD 14

- full 64 bit multi-core processing

- near instant sections & elevations

- direct plotting to greyscale PDF under 20 seconds 10-12 pages

- file sizes about 1/10 the size of VW

Ouch.

I haven't checked out the techboard for a while. VW did a great job at marketing the virtues of VW2011 we paid for the upgrade. Early on people were saying that there were problems with upgrading project files thus we decided to finish out the 2009 projects.

We push VW pretty hard, don't know about others but I find viewport pretty untrustworthy. I thought upgrades might lead to less problems rather than more. I used to be an addict. But they say when the come down is worse than the high it's time to take stock.

When I emailed my local sales rep (after no response from Nemetcheck a few days ago) about reverting back to VW2009 from VW2011 because of the unbearably SLOW speed and HUGE file sizes in VW2011, she said the SP3 for VW2011 would be out very soon.

Does anyone know more about the SP3 and what fixes might be in it? When it might be out?

After being Vectorworks biggest fan since VW2008, I'm testing a 3rd set permit of drawings in ArchiCAD 14 (far SUPERIOR architectural software) and ready to toss VW to the curb, BUT I own VW and locally there are far more VW users. So I'm looking for a ray of light to stick with VW2011 and not have flushed $1000 down the toilet in VW upgrading.

ArchiCAD 14 (far SUPERIOR architectural software) and ready to toss VW to the curb,

I've used ArchiCAD and VW side by side the last 3 years and 'far superior' is slightly misleading, ArchiCAD is a good stable product but not far superior......their capabilities are very similar however in different areas. VWs biggest problems are the absence of 'local standards customization' and the presence of 'Beta bugs'.

ArchiCAD 14 (far SUPERIOR architectural software) and ready to toss VW to the curb,

I've used ArchiCAD and VW side by side the last 3 years and 'far superior' is slightly misleading, ArchiCAD is a good stable product but not far superior......their capabilities are very similar however in different areas. VWs biggest problems are the absence of 'local standards customization' and the presence of 'Beta bugs'.

What are ArchiCAD's biggest problems? I often think that I'll wind up switching because I'll get fed up with VW's "more features, more bugs" trend. The little bit of experience that I've had with ArchiCAD, it felt more finished than VW does.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Donne Martin

Hi All,

There have been a large number of posts on this topic, but we have to date only received one [unrelated] file. In order to address the issues you are facing, we ask that you please submit files that exhibit the slowdowns.

Please refer to Gunther's post copied below.

Thanks

Donne

dmartin@vectorworks.net

---

Hello Everyone.

For those of you having performance related problems, please send me your test files so we may investigate further. gunther@vectorworks.net

To mail large files, compress the files first. Feel free to use something like, www.yousendit.com also.

1. Prior to sending the file, save the file at the point where the performance issue is happening. Meaning, if a particular sheet layer is having the problem, save the document with that sheet active.

2. Please provide detailed steps, on how to duplicate the problem once the file is opened

3. Let us know about your hardware. If you run dual monitors, what sizes?

Thanks for your help Everyone!

Gunther

Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc.

What are ArchiCAD's biggest problems? .......The little bit of experience that I've had with ArchiCAD, it felt more finished than VW does.

Biggest problems are price and less 'flexibility in the VWs' way, eg. You can only have one First Story, one Second Story etc. in one file.

More parametric objects, so you're locked to what these objects can and cannot do. No freeform modeling (you can however buy a plugin for this which I haven't tried.)

Inferior overall graphics control (IMHO).

Built for architects by architects (this is not always a positive thing)....

They are very similar if you upgrade VWs just when the new version is about to be released.

Download the demo version and try it out.

I think in some cases users have a file-specific problem....and it would be great if these could be posted for trouble-shooting. In other cases - particularly with the regen speed, it's ALL files. It's the 1/2 to a full second delay in regenerating the screen when zooming with the mouse wheel. There's no point in posting any files because a) they all do it, and b) "this is a feature" - NM has already acknowledged that the program exhibits this behaviour and says it's working as designed. For users posting about this problem we just want NM to know that this behaviour is not desirable...and is really annoying. If we keep posting maybe they'll fix it.

Hi Ride, unregarded the fact that I see no large delay on both Win and Mac upon scrolling, using absolutely standard, mediocre and oldish machines, and this on really large files, please try using keys for zooming in and out.

This will work instantly.

The key for Zoom in and out are settable in the workspace editor. I use "C" and "V" with the marquee mode on a qwertz keyboard since is a comfortable combination. BTW it was the old settings long long before the scroll wheel was introduced. Teach it each colleague coming to work with us in the office and all are absolutely happy.

Mind, in no application using the scroll wheel is faster than using the keys.

Call me hard, but I expect the usage of keys for such basic commands from persons spending more time over their CAD than with their own families.

If the scroll wheel for some reason doesn't work for you, you have this -in any case- more efficient and advisable way to achieve your purpose.

orso

Its funny how many people try to gloss over the scroll wheel zoom issue by saying "use CC or VV" keypresses instead. Funny enough, when they demo-d this in my office (before I joined) - they did exactly that stunt so people didn't see the issues with scroll wheel zooming. I'm sorry, but CC / VV isn't as good - as it doesn't zoom precisely where you want to go. Also, I don't appreciate that my software dictates to me my workflow, particularly when VW2008 had no issues with scroll wheel zooming.

I guess this is what they call 'progress'?

Orso....your recommendation that using keys for zooming is 'more efficient' is a matter of opinion only. In MY opinion - the scroll wheel is by far the most efficient way to navigate a drawing. And it worked perfectly for a long time. But since 2008 it doesn't work as well.

Hi Ride, use the marquee mode.

C or V key and draw a marquee, navigate with the pan mapped on (on my German keyboard) Y. You'd perhaps have Z, if you have a querty keyboard.

This would be the old default setting.

Nowhere can you be as fast and precise. Try.

The scroll wheel is insufficient, lack of precision. In every graphic application. And is never as fast as drawing a marquee exactly where you need it.

BTW, it's well learning shortcuts for zooming. It takes two minutes, it returns a lifetime advantage.

Ctrl + 4, 6.

No big business even for really forgetful people, I am sure you agree.

orso