Sign in to follow this  
ojardnas

VW2011 - Custom Line Types?

Does VW2011 have the ability to create custom line types?

For example - lines indicating a 1-Hr or 2-Hr Fire Separation? security boundary? footsteps? etc?

Could you please post a graphic illustration of what you need? There are a number of ways to express this graphically and seeing exactly what you're after might be helpful in determining the best approach...

Also, it is generally helpful for you to create a signature which lists your OS and VW's versions. Thanks.

Ok - think I've attached a sample file...I'll know when i submit...

Mac OS10.6

VW12, upgrading to VW2011...

If twer me, I'd consider creating a wall style with 0 height and custom fill,

Then draw my walls

Or if not straight, polylines, then Modify>Objects from Polyline - Walls

Repetitive Unit Tool works well for straight lines, but has issues with curved path. Path can be edited and repeats follow the edit.

Dupe Along a Path works well for straight and better for curves. But you are left with a bunch of dupes, so use a symbol to dupe and group the dupes. If line needs mods delete the (group of) dupes, edit the path, re run the DAP command.

-B

These are all really cumbersome work-arounds. There should be a better custom line type tool where custom line types can be applied to vw's native objects (lines, cirlces, rectangles, polylines, etc.)

Indeed! I think you and others wish listed this before. Time to renew the wish?

BTW, I meant that the DAP works better than the Repeat Unit Tool for curves, not that it works better on curves than on straight sections.

-B

A longstanding wish by many that remains unfulfilled. Some country versions do have one though - France and Australia.

The Australian one is a path object and it works but not that well. It is difficult to draw accurately and reshape because of the constant regeneration whilst you are drawing or reshaping.

Ok - so, there is no solution...? Wish?

Proposed solutions herein are creative, yet elaborate (cumbersome), for linetypes which are fundamental in other software...

All the BIM wall-component stuff is nice, but we still produce drawings in 2D.