Font appears incorrectly when using batch pdf export in VW2011

I've just started using VW2011 and have run into a problem.

The firm name in my titleblock appears incorrectly when using batch pdf export. The text appears way to heavy (bold.) This wasn't a problem in VW2010 and the text appears just fine when I use OS X built-in print to PDF.

This is not just a problem on the screen, the prints also show the font incorrectly.

The font in question is Optima. I also use Helvetica and that appears just fine.

I've attached a screen shot of how it looks when coming out of VW2011 and how it is supposed to look.

Has anyone else out there run into this? Is it a bug? Is there something that I can do to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having this problem - I'm pretty sure it started after SP2 - I made a half dozen batch prints before then (in VW2011, OS 10.6), they all turned out perfect. Now they reliably turn every bit of text into italics.

As a workaround, I've had success with checking the "Rasterize fonts" box in the dialogue, but this seems to be slower and to create larger files.

I submitted a bug through my new Service Select subscription. Someone at NNA responded, asked for a file, confirmed that it was a bug, and said that it should be fixed in a future SP.

In the mean time, I've been printing using OS X "print to pdf." A pretty big pain in the butt but workable, for now.

Hope it's fixed in SP3.

Earlier today I opened a file created yesterday and all texts were condensed and dimension texts were displaced and had to manually restore the appearance.

Later today I opened a copy of yesterday's file to send to my local distributor and the text looked normal. After doing a PDF export the text issue came back so it does seem to be related to the PDF export function.

My local distributor had also hear about there being an issue with text/fonts and asked for a file so hopefully a fix will be included in the next service pack.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned in my post above, this problem still exists in SP3.

I've "solved" my problem by converting my text to outlines in Adobe Illustrator, exporting to DXF & then importing the DXF into my VW file. Now batch PDF's look just fine.

This worked for me because the problem with a single line of text (my company name.) This "solution" would really be workable for someone with many lines of copy.

Possibly corrupt fonts. You should use apples fontbook program to check them out. more than one version of a font is also no, no. I have had problems with some free fonts I downloaded off the web too. Adobe seems to not like fonts that are not theirs and that you didn't paid them for.

Batch print, then save as pdf (on apple machines only) works most of the time because the pdf conversion program was written by Apple. The export batch pdf code I believe was written by Adobe and is more picky. Also your print house sometimes has to open the files up in a special program in order to get them correct. I sent a file to a client once it looked fine on their monitor but they printed it and all the text looked like russian. Very weird but my print house printed the same file fine. I thought PDF was supposed to fix all these font problems but I guess not. This problem has been around a long time predating 2011

I don't believe that the issue is a corrupt font because the font looks fine in fontbook and NVW confirmed that my issue was a bug.

Using OSX built-in PDF does work but results in a bunch of single-page files. Bath PDF results in a single multi-page file, which I much prefer. The font works fine in other versions of VW so I assume that NVW will fix the problem.

I am also experiencing the same problem. In my case, the text turns into a string of random characters. A simpler work around for the titleblock issue is to convert the text to polylines using the 'Truetype to Polyline' command.

Obviously this only works for static text.