Class Standard Referencing

In v2011, is there a way to have classes referenced to or from a single source file. Workgroup Referencing seems to work only with layers, symbols, and viewports. It sure would be useful to have a class standard that is the source for all other classes in other files?with the option to customize the class definition in a working file. Of course, class standards are available when you create a new class, but that's not the same thing as referencing.

Yes there is a way. There is a good thread on the subject, but I can't find it now.

Basically, set up a file with the classes as you'd like them.

Create a symbol (ie a rectangle),with the rectangle set to the class you'd like to reference.

Create a new file, select the symbol in the resource browser of the appropriate class you'd like to reference,

Left click on the symbol

From the drop down, select 'reference'

In the dialogue that pops up, select 'update class definition...'

I've set it up, and it works well. I've set up symbols containing a few rectangles set to classes in various groups, (i.e. a symbol of bunch of rectangles individually set to my various annotation classes)

Now, when you make a change to the master class file, save it,and update the reference in other files, the class changes take effect. Very handy.

Again, there is a good thread on this, search and you will find.....

Yes there is a way. There is a good thread on the subject, but I can't find it now.

Basically, set up a file with the classes as you'd like them.

Create a symbol (ie a rectangle),with the rectangle set to the class you'd like to reference.

Create a new file, select the symbol in the resource browser of the appropriate class you'd like to reference,

Left click on the symbol

From the drop down, select 'reference'

In the dialogue that pops up, select 'update class definition...'

I've set it up, and it works well. I've set up symbols containing a few rectangles set to classes in various groups, (i.e. a symbol of bunch of rectangles individually set to my various annotation classes)

Now, when you make a change to the master class file, save it,and update the reference in other files, the class changes take effect. Very handy.

Again, there is a good thread on this, search and you will find.....

Completely correct.

I'll also do this for all of my library files.

For creating the symbol, you can use my command pio that will do just that of all classes in the document.

Here is the link: DListClasses