Difficulty with editing symbols 2011

I am editing a symbol, adding a polyline object. It comes into the symbol in edit, but when I go back to the symbol, the addition has disappeared. This, after many frustrating hours trying to find out the problem, I have noticed that when I switch to Top View, the addition shows, whilst in Plan view it doesn't. I have achieved the addition in one case, but this was by accident. Somehow the polyline seems to have gained a 3D characteristic, but I can't see this. I can make it show in 2D Plan view by getting the object from the accidental success by adding the symbol to the edit symbol process, and converting to group, and stripping everything else, a real bind. I have checked the usual class settings. Does anybody have any ideas, or perhaps come across this before.

2011 SP2 Windows XP

Crosetti,

Thanks for your response. I did somewhat you advised, as my object was in 2D not a model in 3D. However the object had a plane attached to it, for some unknown reason. It has solved my problem. Thank you. Thank you also Jonathan Pickup. I will also look to the links you suggest, but I have been using Vectorworks since its Minicad 6 days, and obviously I have to be careful now, in 2011, "planes".

Happy New Year to all.

Crosetti,

Thanks for your response. I did somewhat you advised, as my object was in 2D not a model in 3D. However the object had a plane attached to it, for some unknown reason. It has solved my problem. Thank you. Thank you also Jonathan Pickup. I will also look to the links you suggest, but I have been using Vectorworks since its Minicad 6 days, and obviously I have to be careful now, in 2011, "planes".

Happy New Year to all.