Wrong view - all flat!!

jrm1

I'm a complete newbie and so have an early question:

I've just done a construction detail of a wall in plan view, thinking I was in front view. When I select front view it all goes to a flat line!

Is there a way to restore or convert the drawing so this is avoided? Or should I just do the thing again, making sure this time to select the right view before drawing the thing?

Welcome to the forum. It is very helpful if you create signature which tells us your OS version and VW's version.

To answer your question, try copy and paste from the wrong (Plan) view to the desired view. If it is 2d data (lines and other 2d shapes) this should work.

You should consider doing some sort of formal training in VW's. It will greatly speed up your learning process.

VW's is a powerful 2d drafting program, but using it for only that is missing the best part, which is a truly unified 2d/3d environment. There are some basic rules to the VW's paradigm. You have stumbled on one of them: views. There are a few others!

Thanks Peter. I am actually being trained by Tamsin Slatter for a few days. Since my last post I've come a long way, mainly thanks to her.

One other thing you might be able to help me on:

I've drawn/designed a pergola detail which has arcs and rectangular shapes. Took a while. When I came to dimension it, one of the dimensions is different from its what-should-be-identical opposite by 1mm in 430mm.

Do you know if there's some kind of override that disables the interactive nature of the dimension tool, so that I can edit it by that (annoying) 1mm?

Do you know if there's some kind of override that disables the interactive nature of the dimension tool, so that I can edit it by that (annoying) 1mm?

There are 2 solutions to this:

1. use the associative dimension to 'correct' the dimension (ie. double click the dimension value and edit)

2. you can make the dimension static in the OIP then choose 'custom value' and enter the value you want (danger with this is you forget to change the dimension in case of future changes!)

Edited by Vincent C