HVAC Vents in walls

Thanks for the input, guys. Jonathan, I was hoping for a simpler method. I am using the 3d object, wall recess method for some large under-window heater units in an apartment, as well as some doors in thick walls with a recessed raised threshold, but it is a bit of a p-i-t-a to use for multiple items of varying sizes, even to copy and paste.

Peter, this might work. Also, I guess I could make multiple copies of varyng sizes. I guess I was spoiled by the adaptibility of PIO's. Thanks again and good to hear from both of you again!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Don, when Peter and Jon are talking about "wall recesses" I think they are talking about Wall Features, which were introduced in (I think) Vectorworks 2009. The Wall Features functionality is dead-simple to use, which is I suspect why they suggest it. That said, you can make a symbol that does not break the wall (by stacking two 2D loci). But if you want a custom 3D subtraction from the wall that leaves the wall surfaces, you'll need to upgrade also.

Thanks, Robert. I also realized upon looking further (duh), that when making a symbol, teh insertion properties could be set to break a wall all, part or not at all, which worked perfectly for my use (insert on one side, dont break the other). I used the wall recesses for openings below large window sills and will probably do so again for niches.

With the symbol, I wanted something I could copy and paste quickly rather than create an opening for each one which then has to be moved if the grill location changes (which is fairly simple I have found, but still an extra step). Thanks again.