2011 Question re fixture manipulation

acdeslx

I'm using Spotlight 2009 right now and before upgrading to 2011, I'm just wondering if the fixture "manipulating" has been changed.

If I place a fixture on the drawing and want to rotate it (in 3D views) can I do it and keep it as the same symbol or do I need to create a different symbol for each angle due to the hybrid nature?

Just asking for inventory tracking so I don't have to make symbols for 19d vertical, 19d horizontal, 19d outhung, etc.

Thanks and apologies if this has already been answered.

Cheers and Seasons Greetings!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Fixtures have changed somewhat in 2011.

Your 2009 symbols will work exactly the same in 2011 as they do in 2009.

You have the ability to rotate the 3D portion about the insertion point using the "Set 3D Orientation" parameter.

What's new in 2011 is that the 3D portion of the fixture will point at the focus point.

Fixtures for 2011 have been modified from previous version in order to support the new feature. The best suggestion I can give is to get a demo copy of 2011 and take a look at the user guide and the fixtures in the default library to see how they are constructed.

Kevin

I have yet to upgrade to 2011, but I too am updating some symbols right now.

How should the 3D element be constructed to facilitate Spotlight accurately aiming it for us? Right now, my 3D part of the symbol is a yoke and clamp with the fixture rotated to -45? about eight or nine inches below the locus (is that the right term?) of the symbol. Will the entire 3D symbol be rotated or does VW somehow know to rotate about the lower or upper end of a yoke?

weston

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so as per suggestions, I have downloaded the trial version of 2011.

I do like the fact that the 3d fixtures point to focus points -- it's a shame the 2d view doesn't follow suit.

It seems that fixture manipulation is still the same. If I create 10 fixtures on a pipe, it works and looks great. If I place 10 fixtures on the stage as shin-busters or backlight, I'm still stuck with upright hanging fixtures with no way to rotate them (A-because they're hybrids and B-well, there's no option).

I seem to recall that a couple of years back VW added the "hanging angle" option to the truss tool OIP. Wouldn't it be great to add that to fixture placement as well?

Speaking of the truss tool... there still seems to be issues of selected an individual piece of truss if the "hanging angle" is set to anything other than zero. You can't make a window around it to select because in the PLAN view (2D) you need to extend the window to cover the supposed horizontal length which really isn't there.

Anybody have any comments on the above?

And of course, having said all this, I still love VW and it's my fav program after using almost all the others out there.

Thanks.

Dave

I do like the fact that the 3d fixtures point to focus points -- it's a shame the 2d view doesn't follow suit.

Totally disagree. :) Sounds like a recipe for a messy plot.

...I'm still stuck with upright hanging fixtures with no way to rotate them (A-because they're hybrids and B-well, there's no option).

I seem to recall that a couple of years back VW added the "hanging angle" option to the truss tool OIP. Wouldn't it be great to add that to fixture placement as well?

In the OIP of on instrument, click on the "Set 3D Orientation" button (at the bottom of the OIP). 2 new fields will appear to set the rotation for that instrument around the x and y axes. (Also works in 2009.)

Speaking of the truss tool... there still seems to be issues of selected an individual piece of truss if the "hanging angle" is set to anything other than zero. You can't make a window around it to select because in the PLAN view (2D) you need to extend the window to cover the supposed horizontal length which really isn't there.

Yep. Still a problem. You can just click on the truss to select it, but when drawing a marquee around it you either have to draw a really big marquee or use the option-click-drag marquee trick.

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk