Create roof - part-gabled option

New Forest Steve

Question

A very common roof style is one which is part-gabled, part-hipped - i.e. where the gable wall is trapezoidal rather than triangular with a hip section above the gable, and with the adjacent roof faces having a "chamfered" edge to match the gable + hip arrangement.

It may be possible to do this with roof faces, but I don't see an easy way of doing this with the create roof tool. The create roof tool generates a hipped roof which can then have each face changed to eave (hipped), gable or dutch-hip - but I'd like my new option of part-gable added to this list, with the ability to specify how far up the gable wall the hip part should be.

I'm using Vectorworks/Landmark 2011.

6 answers to this question

Hi Peter - nice try with the "handle" - actually, my name's Steve and I live in "The New Forest" near Southampton, UK (which dates back to about 1079, created by King William, so not very "new")- so, a kinda boring handle really!

Attached are three images of part-hip roofs - the first doesn't show it very well, so I iPhone'd a couple local to me this morning.

Happy holidays! [img:center] Part hip 1[/img] [img:center] Part hip 3[/img] [img:center] Part hip 2[/img]

Hi Steve, Thanks for posting the photos. You can do this roof with the Create Roof Command! Just create a normal hip roof, then click on the little (blue) handle on the face you wish to modify and change the "Bearing Height" of that particular face (and in this case the one directly across from it as well). See Attached in which I have changed the bearing height from 8 ft to 10 ft, then used the Fit Walls to Roof command to shape the wall to the modified roof.

PS: Thanks for being good natured about my previous comment. I was reading Robin Hood to the grandkid and it must have clouded my vision ;-)

It is mentioned in the manual/help files, however it is perhaps not as explicit as it could be in terms of presenting different graphic examples of how the various parameters will affect the roof. Sometimes you just need to try stuff and see what happens. Glad you got the help you needed. That's just what the forum is for!