Can I keep plants grouped and still make accurate plant schedule?

jpetty_la

This is my first post after quite some time lurking around these boards finding answers to my problems.

Unfortunatly I have been having a problem for some time now generating accurate plant lists, unless all my plants are ungrouped.

Where I work Im in charge of taking a completed design and creating a plant schedule from custom shedules I've previously created, which have fields for latin/common name, size, quantity, unit cost, unit retail, total retail.

I run into a snag when I recieve the design, all the plants of the same type are grouped together. for instance, plant S215 (winterberry shrub) will be grouped nicely with the rest of its friends in the same planting bed, so I have say 8-S215. When the plant schedule is generated however, it counts the group as one plant. I have to go through an entire design ungrouping, creating schedule, then regrouping. Many times upon regrouping the lines and tags also have a mind of their own and I end up placing plants over from scratch.

It would make my life much easier if I could skip all of this ungrouping and grouping and just have the group be calculated by the individual plants that comprise it.

Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way i'm using Landmark 2010 w/renderworks with the latest update if that helps.

I'll try to post a vwx here shortly. The problem is in the price totaling. It only works when the plants are individuals. for instance i believe i set up my spreadsheet to calculate price total by unit price x quantity, but its not treating the grouped plants as individuals. I assign the plants to various classes depending on the area of the site that will have its own pricing so client can decide what parts of design they want to go with.

Thanks for the replies so far

Ok sorry about the late replies. I had to go back and really wrap my head around the problem so I could try and communicate it better haha. I couldnt find a file under 5mb, so i create a small sample with my plant worksheet, I'll try uploading it shortly.

Hey Thom, thanks again for the reply. Your example is almost dead on, except my unit price isn't showing accuratly so it throws of the rest of my totals. I found the problem but dont know how to fix it. Using your above example, say I have 2 seperate planting beds that are to be totaled together. I have 10 grouped in one bed, 10 grouped in the other (to keep it neat) they are on the same class so i can generate my plant list no problem.

Now heres the problem, the unit price for the 20 plants wont be $5.00 as it should be, it will be $10.00, for some reason the unit price is being multiplied by the # of groups present in the class.

I spent hours trying to find a fix but couldnt find one :(

I attached an example file with worksheet showing Price not accuratly being calculated due to my multiple plant grouping. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thx again for the replies so far.

Jon

Edited by jpetty_la

Thank you Bryan! that was exactly what I was missing all this time!! Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

As for the stress ball, I think thats a great idea haha. My co-workers think its funny that im always sighing and muttering to myself when im working with this program. It's a love and hate thing.

I'll be sure to post again here if I run into any more snags. Now I just need to practice printing these worksheets from vectorworks instead of copy and pasting into excel everytime.

thx again

Jon