Live Section Views

Question

Guest Mark Flamer

After years of using Archicad I'm finding the lack of a live section view to be a real handicap in VW. There are certain operations that are hard to do in plan or 3D views. I know this is not a trivial task for development but, eventually we have to have it to compete.

5 answers to this question

Mark, take a look at this vid

it shows how the live section could be with us if VW uses Parasolids capabilities to it's full(it's about 7minites into the vid, so be patient) originally posted by digitalmechanics in the "Dialogue Boxes NEED TO GO" thread here on the forum

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149548#Post149548

if you want to take a look . . . . . .

Andi

Guest Mark Flamer

Andi,

Very impressive use of the Parasolid and D-Cubed kernals. This is from the company that owns and develops the kernals. Obviously they have alot of experience using them. I would imagine that a small team of programmers at NV have been tasked to learning and implementing Parasolid and 2D Constraints manager. We are now seeing the result of this in the push-pull tool (which works very well in my opinion)for example and I believe we will start to see more progress as the team becomes more confident in using the libraries. Some features like this would be awsome but I would say they are a long ways off being that "Synchrous Technology" is not a subset of the parasolid library but an actual implementation of it. All I'm hoping for is the abality to move and adjust components in a 2d sectiion view.

Mark, as Mr. G says, it's seems like it's on it's way, but we're not quite there yet, but, with the implementation of either on one side of the 2D/3D divide will probably bring it to the other.In the Solidworks use of this they constantly reflect each other so it should be possible. . . . . .

i think.

:)

Yes, this is one of my biggest wishes for VW. Basically, there is no way to work with the model while in a section view, either from DLVP or SLVP. When you navigate to the design layer from the SLVP, it reverts to wireframe and you end up seeing a bunch of other objects in front of and behind the objects that are cut in section.

We need sections viewports that are actually functional and in which you can manipulator the model in an effective manner.

We have seen some great improvements in VW's 3D capabilities over the past few releases. However, no significant improvement in the workability of sections.

This function is critical to architectural 3d modelling, and it is currently a MAJOR flaw of VW (I speak as an experienced VW user who has also worked extensively in Revit and ArchiCAD).

Please, please, please add this in 2013!!!