HELP ME SELECT A NEW PC

I WANT TO BUY A NEW PC. FOR THE USE OF VECTORWORKS 9 & 9.5. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST SYSTEM TO BUY FOR THIS USE. I DO ARCHETECTURALDESIGNS & WORKING DEAWINGS IN 2D.

MY CURRENT SYSTEM IS A PENTIUM II 400, 128 MEG, PC 100 & I AM USING VECTORWORKS 8.5.2 ON WINDOWS98.ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A NEW PC,OPERATING SYSTEM & GRAPHICS THAT WOULD GIVE ME THE BIGGEST BANG FOR MY BUCK. THANKS DALTON DESIGNS

pc wise:

we run p4 1.3 ghz with 512mb of rdram, geforce mx400 graphic cards, and 40gb 7200 rmp hard drives. Monitor- anything with a flat tube.

At home i use an athlon thunderbird (now athlon xp) and it is extremely fast- beating our machines at work in some instances- its a 1ghz with 768 mb of ram, geforce2 ultra graphics card, and a maxtor diamondmax plus hard drive (its an ata 100 drive with 2mb buffer- very dependable.) a similar machine is offered by Polywell computers and recieved exceptional marks from Cadence Magazine.

minimumly- nothing slower than a 1.2 ghz, no less than 256mb of ram, windows2000 professional, or windowsxp professional- do not use xp home edition. geforce mx or higher graphics card.- 32mb and 300mhz ramdac- Means less flicker and better display.Stay away from the dells with sdram on the P4- only get the rdram or systems with ddr

Hope this helps.

jeparson1222THANKS FOR YOUR YOUR HELP.THIS COMPUTER SELECTION I AM FINDING OUT IS ANYTHING BUT AN EXACT SCIENCE.

I HAVE GONE THROUGH THREE PC SO FAR & THEY HAVEALL BEEN A TRIAL & LOTS OF ERRORS.

I WOULD THINK THAT THE SOFTWARE MFG. (VW) WOULD GIVE THERE USERS NOT ONLY A MINIMUN OF EQUIPMENT REQUIRED TO RUN THE PROGRAM, BUT THE ULTIMATE PC& EVERTHING IN-BETWEEN.I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!DD

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by DALTON DESIGNS:
I WOULD THINK THAT THE SOFTWARE MFG. (VW) WOULD GIVE THERE USERS NOT ONLY A MINIMUN OF EQUIPMENT REQUIRED TO RUN THE PROGRAM, BUT THE ULTIMATE PC& EVERTHING IN-BETWEEN.DD

The problem is the sheer diversity of PC machines available, the variety of options for them (including ever-changing device drivers), and the rate at which they change. By the time we could "certify" a particular system, it would probably be outdated.