Revit import and export

WilliamK

Question

I'm getting a lot of projects where the design team is working in Revit. At least until they make construction documents. These are big, complex projects, where VW would look good and produce high quality drawings with less work.

Except that I can't exchange information with the design team in Revit. This trend has been increasing fast. At some point, I will need to begin using Revit, at considerable expense, in order to retain interoperability. This might be before VW 2012 comes out, so the need is crucial.

8 answers to this question

Blind Expert has a point. Unfortunately, the design team says Revit is the standard that they will issue the files in. I could pay them to convert them to DWG if they have time to do that. Any conversion to a different format comes at my expense.

But I'm arguing that AutoCAD became such a dominant standard that Vectorworks at least tries to read the files, and often succeeds. Revit is fast becoming the new standard for modeling complex structures. Deciding to have Vectorworks support the standard file produced by Revit, will give Vectorworks a competitive advantage in this market.

The AutoCAD-filter is largely created as a collaborative effort by a consortium called OpenDWG Alliance or something like that. NemV is a member of it.

Considering the speed with which Revit is being adopted (as a replacement for AC in many cases) and assuming it will be as large a dominator of the business as AC is at the moment, perhaps this 'consortium' will feel it necessary to invest in a rvt filter too.....