Export Dxf 2011

GWS

Question

I have sent many files exported as Dxfs to laser cutters in the past using (2010 and before) but the laser cutting files I have just sent off cause the company's software to crash when dimensions are applied.

This is the first time I have used 2011 to export dxfs for laser cutting.

Has anyone else had problems and is there a new setting in the dialogue box that I'm missing.

The dxf does include a title block and sheet border, although this has never been a problem in the past.

Any help would be much appreciated, in fact life saving!!

3 answers to this question

I don't know what the cause might be but I did notice that imported dwg/dxf files are twice as big in VW2011 than in VW2009 so it is possible that changes in the DWG/DXF import/export are causing your problem.

If you have access to a windows machine or can use bootcamp or other virtual machine running windows, what you or the company doing the laser cutting could try is to get Autodesk DWG Trueview (windows only and a free download from www.autodesk.com) and have Trueview convert the dxf file and in the conversion setup also check the box for fixing errors.

Something I just remembered...

Did you check whether the drawing is on a screen plane or layer plane? If the latter that may cause unexpected results when exporting as it remains to be seen whether it gets exported as 2D, 3D or a combination of 2D and 3D. I got "warned" for potential issues when I asked about compatibility with VW2009 which does not support layer plane for 2D.

I have opened the DXF/DWG files in Draftsight and all seems to be OK when I do that but I run Parallels on my Mac so I'll try the Trueview solution you suggested.

The layer/Screen Plane could well be the issue, I hadn't thought of that.

I'll try setting everything to Screen plane and see if that helps.

Thanks for your help