spaces in 2011

helmut

hi robert,

thank you.

but it still seems I am too stupid:

I?m completely unable to do it your way - my column footprints do not affect the area - tried lots of options again and again.

especially both of the options in your first picture are none because they simply stay greyed out whatever I do.

on the other hand we have lots of situations where different elements should be able to affect area calculations - columns are just one single example.

in 2010 we simply drew shapes and in one single additional step clipped them out of the space area.

and of course this worked fine for 2D drawings as well (as 80% of our work is still flat.....)

for us there is no need for automatically generated space boundaries if we cannot handle them in a flexible way afterwards.

2011 is very disappointing so far.

any help highly appreciated.

greetings

helmut

hi robert,

sorry my reply took some time - was absent.

unfortunately the auto-boundary method does not help with flat (2D-) projects...

which are still quite a number in our practice.

has anybody tried if space area clipping works with SP2 ?

IMHO the new space label is a real benefit (at least);

so if we could come up with the correct areas... ;-)

Helmut,

This still works in a "flat" 2D workflow. Walls work in 2D or 3D. There are MANY advantages of using the Wall tool, among the others, in even a 2D workflow. For example:

(1) use of database worksheets to (a) produce schedules, (b) track quantities, © edit parameters and data of objects;

(2) automatic interaction between elements, (a) like doors/windows inserted in walls and healing around them, and (b) Spaces auto-bounding to Walls and Columns;

(3) use of styles and attributes to control/change/edit graphic output for many objects at once;

Once mastered, even in a 2D workflow, the the "leap" to 3D is much less daunting.

hello jeffrey,

I totally agree.

as by now we do about 50% of our projects in 3D, their number of course increasing.

but nevertheless there are lots and lots of flat drawings where it should be possible to draw a space area independent of any boundings and handle this object not only by reshaping but also by clipping - as simple as it has been up to 2010.

helmut