Convert solid object into nurbs surfaces fails in 2011

So now I can't convert a solid into nurbs surfaces (for crying out loud). I get a message informing me, that the conversion has failed.

I export the object as an IGES file and import it again and - presto - I got my surfaces exactly as I want them.

A little hint to the programmers at NNA: How about I get to do that inside Vectorworks?

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard

During experimenting wirh the "stitch trim surfaces tool" in VW2011 to create solids from nurbs surfaces, I saw, that after performing "stitch trim Surfaces" to some nurbs surfaces the result is marked as a CGS solid in the OIP

but if I cut it or sutract solids from that Object I see that is not a solid! it is just a Hollow!

thats very terrible.

Edited by Horst M.

It is, Horst. But then again stich and trim never did work too well - and there is no history tree either. It is usually better to do a series of 'section solid' operations on a base object although it is more timeconsuming.

Other mostly useless commands include 'create fillet surface', 'create planar caps', 'create drape surface' and create interpolated surface. I may have heard of a person, who heard of someone, who once did something useful with one of theese, but that is the closest, I ever got...

And then there is the 'multible extrude' command, unchanged for centuries, which still produces a facetted object - not a nurbs solid.

Now that I have been beta-testing VW2011 for a while at my own expense, I really hope NNA will throw in a treat with the release of SP2 or SP3 and give us all a powerpack markII.

That being said, VW still is a better modeller, than the unilateral focus on the building industry could let you to believe.

I have had this problem too. It becomes extremely important when exporting as stl files for 3D printing.

Unfortunately the only solution I found was to import it into 'Inventor' which read it as a solid and then re-export it.

Not a good solution but ....'needs must when the devil drives'

It seems that VW has not improved in this area.