Issue Rendering Truss and Lights

Hi!

I have drawn a truss with some lights on it and would like to render it but am running into a couple of issues. To get a picture of what I am doing, the truss is 100' long, and 20' in on each side are two 20' legs that hang down. I have S4 Pars along the top and along each leg. Here are the issues I am encountering.

1. When I click to view from front view, all I get is the 100' truss and lights along it. The legs are nowhere to be seen. Do I need to virtually "attach" them to the corner block somehow?

2. When I look at it in front view, my lights are down below the truss, even though they are drawn on the truss. There are what look like intersecting lines of green, blue and purple and that is where the lights have ended up and the truss is way above them.

3. When I render it, I lose the truss altogether and just have the lights along the top truss, still nothing from the legs.

What am I doing wrong? Would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me on this.

Thank you!

HI Lindsey,

In Front view:

Cmd A to select all and

Cmd 6 to zoom to objects.

If you have drawn your legs as 3d objects they will be visible somewhere - even if it's a mile away.

This is often because hybrid symbols are used whose 3d and 2d components are misaligned.

Otherwise, perhaps the 3d component isn't showing because a vital class is turned off.

Try temporarily turning on all classes to find it.

Thanks! I can now see all of the truss, but the lights are still way below it. And even though I can now see all of the legs of the truss, I can't see the lights on those legs. The only lights that are showing up are the one ones across the top of the truss.

I have attached 2 pdfs. The top plan is what it is supposed to look like. The second one, titled strange lights, is what is happening when I switch to front view. See how the lights disappear? How to I get them to be in their respectful place on the truss?

Thanks!!

When I move them it changes their 3d orientation so the front of the light is no longer facing me, and I can't move the ones on the legs because I can't find where they go when I switch to front view.

Also when I render it, it will only show which ever layer I have active, even though I have them all turned on and have it set to show/modify others. I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. It seems like this should be really simple.

Thanks again for all your help!

When I move them it changes their 3d orientation so the front of the light is no longer facing me,

If moving the lights changes their orientation, don't worry about it (for now). Get the light where you want it, then rotate it (via the OIP) after the light is where you want it.

and I can't move the ones on the legs because I can't find where they go when I switch to front view.

If it helps, select the lights when you are in a view where you can see the lights. Then change the view, and the lights will still be selected. Zoom in to the selection to see where you lights went.

It looks to me that the lights on the legs are in the front view, but they are all stacked on top of each other. Perhaps going to an Isometric view, or a view with perspective will clue you in to their whereabouts.

Also when I render it, it will only show which ever layer I have active, even though I have them all turned on and have it set to show/modify others.

Don't worry about rendering until you get things where you want them... Then look at things in wireframe to make sure they are where you want them. Once all that looks good, give a render a try.

In response to your issue: are you rendering in the Design Layer, or are you going to a viewport or a Sheet Layer? If you are in a DL, make sure "Unified View" is turned on, otherwise only the currently active layer will change views. If you are in a standard workspace, the "Unified View" button is the icon along the top of the window, to the left of the pull-down for the rendering views (the "teacup"). If you are going to a VP or SL, check the Class and Layer settings for the VP. It may be easier to just create a new VP.

I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. It seems like this should be really simple.

Thanks again for all your help!

FYI, in addition to the training that you and I spoke about a few weeks ago, there are also training books, DVDs and YouTube videos. Some of them are free, and some of them are not...

Good luck!

Edited by Teresa Drake

Ok, found the lights. They were stacked on top of each other. It think the issue lies with the 3D portion of the truss. I notice if I go to an oblique cavalier 45 projection view, the angle of the truss does not change, it is still flat. You can see it in the PDF, the legs just show up as lines in the front view. Any thoughts as to why?

Edited by Linds