Dialogue Boxes NEED TO GO

digitalcarbon

16 answers to this question

i can't say i've ever been happy with VW's[to quote Shaun(*****)] restrictive attitude to PIOs and with MD, there have never been trailer loads of usable options, BUT, as has often been suggested, "IF" we were given more "COMMAND" capabilities over these "Plugs" they would become a great deal more "Friendly".

"N'est Pas?"

It's "Referendum" time!!

Again . . . . . . .

:)

About three or four versions back (maybe more?) there was a huge shift from direct editing via the OIP (and other means) toward more and deeper dialogs. At that time I expressed great frustration and felt as if this was a very very bad decision and also that it seemed (to me, a mac guy) that the program became more "windows-like" in that it took way too many mouse actions to dig down to the element that you needed to edit. Also, the dialogs tended to (and still tend to) cover the screen thereby obscuring the drawing. All of which was and still is not good...

As I recall, one of the most compelling reasons given for the change was that as PIO's became more feature-rich there just wasn't enough room in the OIP for all the possible (and needed) parameters...

So now we have this somewhat awkward mix of direct editing and dialogs...

Although I have forced myself to 'get used to' the dialogs I still dislike them on a very fundamental level. So, IMO, anything that can be done to limit or get rid of them entirely will be quite well received....

i have to agree with Peter on this one.

The OIP should have more made available to it and dialogues do tend to get in the way. This wouldn't be so bad, if once a dialogue was moved out of the way, it would stay where you put it instead of jumping back to "Centre Screen".

Ray Mulin Manages this with "Reshaper", so it obviously isn't beyond the Code Bashers at NV, but still not used. i just couldn't manage without R.M's Reshaper, it offers so much more, just in case you hadn't already guessed. . . . . .

How about adding more Tabs or TearOffs to allow more in the OIP?

Peter I think you've muddied the waters a little. Direct parametric modelling is not adjusting parameters in a palette.

What we're talking about is direct manipulation of the geometry. i.e. precisely the opposite of adjusting figures in a palette or dialogue window.

See, for instance, Cadimage's stair tool (not as a perfect example but it's an example):

http://www.cadimageworld.com/support/viewmovie/856-stairdesigntechniques

Another example is Siemen's Synchronous technology:

Gotta Go!

What we need is the push-pull tool functionality directly in PIOs ie. double click PIO and Push-pull active geometry....

....or/and (like in ArchiCAD) have handles for most parts in Top/Plan view ie. grab a handle on the frame and widen the whole window/door grab the mullion handle and move the mullion, grab the door handle and change the door opening angle etc etc......these are all MUSTS.

In the video at the beginning of this thread it's almost painfully obvious that modeling/creating/editing a hybrid symbol for a window is almost faster than placing and editing a window with the window tool (the same applies for the door and stair tools) that's a definite No No!

Edited by Vincent C

OK!

As a "Prime" Grumpy old fart who still knows SC exists, viewing it from the Synchronous Technology vista, then yes, good point.

:)

But the OIP "STILL" needs more available to it.

And

when Nemets manages to make full use of this power(if it is part of the Parasolid licence used in VW) then we will have reached that point that i feel is missing.

Part 1 of the same vid, this one gives a good example of fillets that do as they should. Adjust to mods . . . .

Hhmmmmmm! Synchronous Technology!

i was told yesterday by a reliable source that SW is heading towards a Mac version like AutoCAD has. We'll see.