Mac G3/266, OS9.0.4, VWA9.5 production speed/get new machine?

I have a Mac G3/266 416MB ram, OS9.0.4, VWA9.5.

VWA 8.5.2 works very fast No hesitation.

VWA9.0.1 was way too slow to be productive on my machine. Long (seconds) hesitation between most operations.

VWA9.5 is very nice and much faster than VWA9.0.1. However, it still has a 1/2 to 1 second hesitation between many commands and operations. I am noticeably slowed down in production. I'm pretty sure I have enough ram and the proper amount assigned to VWA. The question is; How much faster would be a G4 733mhz for normal production. I understand that rendering would be much faster, but I am most interested in knowing whether the hesitation associated with basic tool use is decreased? (I have also heard the word that somewhat speed bumped Macs probably will be introduced in the next few weeks. 800Mhz, 900Mhz, 1Ghz)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Henry Finch:
(I have also heard the word that somewhat speed bumped Macs probably will be introduced in the next few weeks. 800Mhz, 900Mhz, 1Ghz)

Indeed, new 933 Mhz and dual 1 Ghz Power Mac G4s were introduced today. I suspect you would see close to a 4x speedup with one of these machines over your 233.

For some reason my prior reply wasn't posted, but as a piece of advice, I have a similar problem with my G3 with an internal ATI and PCI ATI 128 rage 16mb card. Slow redraws with VW 9.0-9.5, and other quirks with 9.5. (see prior postings)

Perfomance with VW 8.5 was fine, and it looks like I'll have to live with it until the price drops on the new boxes.