Graphics Card Upgrade- 2006 Mac Pro

CEA

I'd like to upgrade the video card on my older Mac Pro- it is one of the early Intel models.

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

The original video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 256 MB VRAM.

I could replace it with either a ATI Radeon HD 5770 for $260 or a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 for about $650.

Are these both compatible with Vectorworks 2011? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? The lower price of the ATI card is appealing!

I recently upgraded from Vectorworks 2008 to 2011, and zooming is no longer smooth on my older computer.

Funny, just this afternoon I was at the Apple Store asking about upgrading from the same exact video card on the same exact 2006 Mac Pro! (Because I'm still running VW 2008 on 10.4.11, they weren't sure that I could update the graphics card and they sent me to a place specializing in Macs that was closed for the day...). Anyway...

Nemetschek has "Graphic Card Guidelines" here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/714/Video+Graphic+Card+Guidelines+for+Vectorworks+-+9%7B47%7D15%7B47%7D2010

Also, check out the "Additional Details" > "Video Cards:" section at their "2011 System Recommendations" here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/807/Vectorworks+2011+System+Recommendations

Evidently the 7300 is problematic for 2011, and the 8800 is recommended.

I'll be interested to know what you figure out; that is quite a price difference!