Mapping 1 texture across multiple objects.

MattG

I have a project I am working on where I want one texture to map over multiple objects. I am trying to determine what the best way to do this is because I am essentially wanting it to be a "plane" type of render.

My Two hopes were as follows. One was to create a bunch of 3D polys in a front view and map a texture across them. That was a no go. The other was to extrude a bunch of 2d geometry at the same time so it is all one extude, then apply the texture. Kinda works, but the prolem is that what I am trying to map is a curved video screen, so the mapping never works our correct. Anyone have any thoughts. I will try to get a samply up at some point here.

Matt

I made this idea work once w/ 2009 or 2010.

This is what worked then:

1. Make a 3D version w/ extrudes laying flat on it's back.

2. Use the those shapes to create a drape surface.

3. Apply the texture to the drape surface and map.

4. Subtract solids so only the tops of the drape surface are showing.

That's how I remember doing it. I just tried it in 2011 and it sort of works.

Andrew Dunning must have figured this out to get his plug in to render versa tubes...

hth

mk

Looks like you are trying to get a video wall to display an image across all the screens

Here is how I have done it:

1.Model your various video displays so that their fronts are all in the same curved "plane". Duplicate along a curved path, for instance.

2.Create a faceted or curved extrude or NURBS surface to which you can apply a texture. It's located/offset a pixel or two in front of the actual video surfaces. It's sort of a big, clear cover for the group of screens from floor up to tops of displays This surface will ultimately hold the texture.

3.Create a new texture with two shaders - Color and Transparency: Color shader has your image sized to spread across all the displays. Transparency shader is Image Mask with a grid of 2d rectangles or polys. These are sized and located to represent the spaces between the displays. Choose the grid color as transparent during mask creation. You will have to fiddle with the size of these two.

This responds well to Renderworks. Open GL, has some trouble with this, but can work.

-B

Actually, it's way easier than all that.

Create a new texture with shader color>Image Color, import your image.

Model all your screens, extract a face from each one with the extract tool in surface mode. This makes a bunch of NURBS surfaces.

Select these new red surfaces - all together in one selection, and Shell them. Set the shell to minimum thickness, say 0.01 inch, or .01 mm. I couldn't make it shell to 0 thickness.

This creates a single object with space between the components. Apply your texture. Switch texture map type to Planar if necessary.

Works fine with Open GL, and RW

Render

-B

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, This is nice and makes me think.

VW2015 allows this to be done easily as I have just found.

Extrude a wall the size you want, put your image onto it then extrude a grid over it and subtract solid and the image stays across the overall wall and also the image can be scaled and rotated globally over the whole wall. Then you can manipulate the whole wall with the deform tool and the image stays with the shapes.

I like this concept.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...