Snap to PDF

They just have to be vector based pdf's. If you zoom really close to a curved line and see it pixellated you are working with a raster pdf and will not be able to snap to it.

Otherwise it may just be a case that you PDF is on a separate layer and you don't have Layer options Snap to Others selected.

• 10 months later...

I don't know if this was ever resolved but I have just imported a (99.9% sure) vector based PDF and am unable to snap to any of the points contained within.

VW2011 on Mac OS X Lion. I may see if it behaves the same on my Vista PC. I think its the first time that I have done this on my Mac.

Try and ungroup the PDF. You should end up with three (or four) items.

1. A bitmap of the pdf

2. A blank white rectangle representing the paper

3. (Maybe) a rectangle showing the page border

4. A group containing all the vector objects in the drawing.

If there is nothing in the group, then there are not vector objects and you won't be able to snap.

Have you checked all the usual snapping issues? Class options? Layer Options? Layer scales? Layers in the same view?

• Like 1

Thanks Pat for suggesting ungrouping the PDF. I had not realised that you could do that.

On doing so I got the bitmap of the PDF, the page border and most importantly I got the group containing the vector data.

However, on ungrouping, the vector data was positioned off to the right (see attached image) of the bitmap but fortunately, once I have realigned the vector data back to the bitmap, it will allow me to snap to the objects as I hoped.

This got me investigating further. When I had previously created a viewport that encapsulated the PDF I found that the extent of the viewport was much wider than what I expected. So I decided to see if I could snap to anything to the right of the original PDF and blow me down, there were snap points available to an invisible part of the PDF.

I suspect that the PDF is the more likely cause of this unless anyone knows different although there is nothing untoward showing when viewing the content in OS X preview of Acrobat Reader.

Checking it out the file info of the supplied PDF, the Content creator is "PDFCreator Version 0.9.7" and encoding software is "GPL Ghostscript 8.63".

• 3 years later...

Never had to ungroup a pdf in 2014?

I have a pdf file that is definitely a vector created pdf file. 2015 won't snap to the lines in it. I have kept VW 2014 on my computer for now and when I place the pdf in VW 2014, it snaps just fine.

Ungrouping a pdf is a pain for me because I loose some of the text and other items in the pdf that I need. It seams that the text converts to bit map when I ungrpuo a pdf.

For me, the way around it has been to open the pdf in Adobe Illustrator and export it as a dwg file. All lines remain vector lines and the text remains text for editing if needed.

Currently running on an iMAc 27", OSX 10.9.5, VW2015 SP2.

• 1 year later...