How can you join Polylines?

JohnS

• 10 years later...

Deep thread but more questions. I have a ton of poly-lines that I want to connect. It's dozens of lines and I want to think about best practices. I'm trying to create a shape from a DXF so I can extrude it. Not all the end points are connected end-to-end (there are some gaps). 

image.png.6b005b53ac645b6945a3aaf6c61e5a69.png

Compose results with:

image.thumb.png.579e06af19561b65ce78ffbe80a0e834.png

There are now fewer line segments so I could use connect / combine from here, but it's still slow going. And I have all this noise to contend with:

image.thumb.png.838ddcc4cb252bb63cb03a16898476ad.png

What's the best way to do this? 

I’’m not sure what best practices is but it is a bit like when you ungroup a PDF to get the embedded vector line drawing which you want to use but there’s loads of lines and also very slightly not to scale.

In that scenario, if I want accuracy and there is not too much I want use then I will simply trace it.

To get it accurate I will trace on another deign layer with layer settings to “show/ grey” and set my grid snap to the precision level I want.

Its actually quite quick.

• 4 weeks later...

Connect Combine has option for multiple connects, at least to single target object. Outer boundary tool could help eliminate those internal artifacts.

But seems to me the bigger problem is that the source cannot be trusted? Eg if dimensional match with manufactured object is goal, how does one interpret the arc not connecting with the line in screenshot? - is arc too short? Does line need to rotate or curve slightly to meet the arc? Do both elements  need correction?

Could be sloppy source drawing, or some conversion distortion. Perhaps reasons for gaps are immaterial. A “close enough” “best guess” approach is appropriate  - tracing and accepting tolerances to some imagined but unattainable perfection. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw