Sign in to follow this  
bernas

cut a hole in dtm terrain model

Question

Hi all

how can i subtract a solid from a already modeled dtm terrain in vectorworks 2010?

thanks

7 answers to this question

I believe that in order to subtract a solid from a site model you will need to lose all the parametric abilities of the object. Not sure why you would want to do that?? Why not use a Site Modifier object instead? If, for example, you create a 'pad' of the desired shape (shape of the hole) with a 'boundary' that is just slightly (and I mean very very slightly) larger than the 'pad', and set the pad's elevation to cut into the site model as deep as needed, when you update the site model you should have a hole in the desired location...

hi Peter

i'm portuguese, not 100% in english...what is a Pad? can u explain me better? or use an image maybe? thank you very much, i confess im stuck...

tks

I try to explain better: i made de dtm model. and now i must subtract the area where the building is. should i have made the dtm in a different way? predicting the "negative" of the building? if that's it, what if the building changes? i hope u can help me or give me a link which can do.

tks again

Hello Bernas, A "Pad" is one type of "Site Modifier". This is exactly what you need to cut a hole in the site model for your building. Try searching the Help Index for "Site Modifier". Peter

The problem is that the pad creates a slope down to the pad. I need it to cut a 90 degree "cut". How do I get rid of the slopes down from the existing model to the proposed pad?

Pulling my hair out on this.

Thanks,

John

Put a Fence around the pad. The Fence will determine where the terrain goes back to the existing size.

The cut can't be exactly vertical, but it could be offset by a very small, say 1mm or even 0.1 mm.