Lofted surface

GWS

Shelling usually works, but your loft has somehow become illegal and it can't be fixed by rebuilding the surface. If you trim the top off the surface, the rest can be shelled, which doesn't really help to know...

I have tried to replicate the loft using a 3D locus for the top - and it too became illegal when I changed the U degree to 2 and moved a vertex. Triangular surfaces seems to be tricky that way. But if you create a standard rectangular nurbs surface and make it triangular by moving a point onto another, the surface remains legal and can be shelled.

I don't know much about the code behind nurbs surfaces, but it would seem that all nurbs surfaces are inherently defined to have 4 corner points. Higher number of corner points is achieved by sticking together surfaces. Lower number of corner points is achieved by sticking vertices together. When I use VW2008 to do a triangular surface (which is pre-Parasolids), the vertices in the top are not permanently linked and can be separated. In VW20011 they cannot.

I have just upgraded from VW2008 and have discovered that with Parasolids, I have to be more careful with surfaces - or they become illegal. In VW 2008 I often used the 'connect/combine' tool or the 'combine' command to stick surfaces together. In VW 2011 the 'combine' command doesn't work but the 'connect/combine' tool does. But if I use it in the 'dual object combine' mode, the resulting surface becomes illegal and can not be made legal again with the 'rebuild surface' command or any other method.

Parasolids is supposed to be more stable than the old modelling core - and in many ways it is. But it is counterproductive, that seemingly legal commands can produce illegal results.

If you are reading this NNA, perhaps you should consider to disable such commands or redefine how they work. If I cannot combine two or more surfaces into one, it would be nice, if I could instead use the 3D reshape tool on more than one object at a time.