3d pdf

Any process/addons/plugins for making 3d pdf files from Mac OS Vectorworks models? Is it in VW2011?

Depending on what the creator includes, Acrobat Reader allows user controlled navigation (spherical rotation, zoom, etc), explode and restore controls, lighting, layer color control, etc. Apple Preview apparently can't read 3dPDF, at least for now.

Here are examples. The youtube demo is at the end of the 1:48 video.

http://www.pdf3d.com/gallery.php

Some other 3d software now offers export/save to 3d PDF, eg Alibre (Windows only), Acrobat Pro, Sketchup with a plugin from NovEdge, and probably many others.

Export/save to U3D format is now included in some modeling software and can be used by 3d pdf creation software.

-B

I'm currently having to use Microstation V8I to create 3D PDFs by exporting a DWG file out of VW11, opening and saving it in MicroStation as a V8I file and then changing class (layer/level) colors and transparency as needed (its very easy to set up & save custom layer files in V8I for repetitive use).

The resulting 3D PDFs are very impressive and easy for anyone with a recent version of Acrobat (7 or later) to manipulate but having the class (layer/level) transparency option is imperative.

Win B.

win@bwcsystems.com

Horst - I had never used the QTVR output until I saw this 3dPDF and tried to make similar output directly from VW. Maybe there are creation options I did not find, but the end result was essentially a movie with a scroller - no real controls to adjust view. I tried it on a simple model and found it could only show the views in order of the creation scan (round and round it goes, where it stops . . .)

Win - Thanks for the tip and notes that end users like the 3dPDFs. No good for MacOS though. I think the SKU/NoveEdge process is about the same.

I will post a wish.

-B

Benson, if you have Acrobat 9 Pro you could export a 3D DWG out of VW (export it in top/plan view), open it with Acrobat and get the layers cleaned up (Acrobat 9 allows the user to turn layers on and off). I've done it a couple of times; its a bit flunky and not nearly as clean as the V8I workup but you can get a 3D PDF with full layer (class) control.

Win B.

Thanks again, Win, but as you probably guessed, I have no Acrobat Pro license. Maybe the 3dpdf will push me to Acrobat or similar.

I keep thinking it would be useful, but the price keeps me away. I have other software with most of the capabilities, just not all in one place.

BTW, denizens of this forum might be interested in seeing one of your VW models in 3dpdf if you feel like posting or linking to one.

-B

There are a few programs dedicated to making advanced 3D pdf manuals with interactive parts list and animated assembly and maintenance procedures. It would be nice to have some of these features in VW, but a basic export with layer and camera control is probably inevitable at some point.

Meanwhile: Simlab (www.simlab-soft.com) has a not-too-expensive 3D PDF program for Windows/Mac. Also they have 3D pdf export plugins for a number of CAD applications including Sketchup.

I have tried out the Sketchup exporter. Its pretty basic, but looks decent enough - with support of model tree and multible cameras.

Could NNA be talked into striking a deal with these guys for a dedicated VW plug-in?