Layer/Screen Plane

Bryan,

Make a few 2D objects in top view, then switch to right ISO, then switch between layer and scene planes. You'll see how they change. Now for the value of that... It allows VW to display text in 3D (I'm still waiting to be able to do this rendered hidden line!), it allows you to push pull a 2D object into a 3D object, and I suspect it allows you to have a plan view look 3D under a bunch of 3D objects in a 3D view. That might be a fast way to give a client an idea of how 3D objects relate to a site.

Bruce,

I see that if objects are in screen mode they do not go planar, if they are in layer mode they do.

The layer mode makes complete sense to me all the way around. works great for me with my plans and the new 3D push/pull is great.

But why screen plane what is the benefit for it over or with Layer plane?

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Bryan,

It could be said that Screen Plane is a hold-over or legacy scenario...however is some modeling situations it may be easier to extrude simply 2D forms "into the page" by keeping them on the Screen Plane after adjusting the Working Plane accordingly. To me it's a "best of both worlds" concept as you can easily place objects on either at any time.

Wes

I might be wrong here but is the reason you would use the planar text object be for instances where you have a 3D object that has some complex form where 2D representation does not clearly communicate your intent?.

AND if you have complexity in form would a hidden line render view is required to communicate the form.

So given that you can not combine the 3D element rendered view with the Planar text, does this not make Planar text useless?

I am trying to think in what circumstance would planar text be useful that does not include a render...

You could draw everything in 2D, as you already do, then set up some planar to map you elevations on to to create some pretty drawing, like the ones NA use to promote the tool, BUT this just added extra time to the workflow of your project.

What for?

Is this drawing clearer for a contractor to read?- I don't think so.

Does this function make for a faster drawing set?- I don't think so.

Who cant think of a use for planar text in a non rendered view... please share

If you use openGL, make sure that "Use Planar Attributes" in the openGL rendering settings is checked...the default is OFF

I finally found the openGL settings (under the Rendering Mode pulldown) - thanks, Wes.

I did find that text renders in openGL, there is just an underlying grey background that can be turned off in the attributes palette. Hidden Line, Polygon and Artistic Renderworks, however, actually mask the 3D text so it can't be seen.

So overall, 3D text renders in Wireframe, Sketch, OpenGL, Fast RW, Final Quality RW, and Custom RW, but not in Artistic RW, Hidden Line, Dashed Hidden Line, and any Polygon mode.