Site and building info in same VW file?

My choice is to import survey data into VW's, then create site model, then "build" the project on the site. All in one file. There are a few caveats, but generally they can be solved fairly easily. Rule #1: always import dwg (surveys or otherwise) into blank clean files. That way you can easily sort what's going on. Often during import I choose to add a prefix onto the numerous classes (VW's) that are imported (eg: "survey-_____"). Sometimes I cut and paste only the data I need into a second file, being careful to define a known (perhaps arbitrary) benchmark as reference. But usually I just keep the imported data in a discreet design layer and work from there creating a new design layer for each level of the building. This methodology allows me to create viewports directly from the model for every sheet of construction documents.

I also always choose to create everything in one document. The only time I split the things up is when the file get's too huge to handle (for me or of the computer).

I last did 2 large buildings and a huge site plan. I had a file for each level, a file for each building where the levels are referenced, and a file for the site where the buildings are referenced. All works fine and I'm happy with it. The only negative about this all is that when all those files have the same classes, you can't control the classes of the referenced files in you site plan file. I put this up in the wish list, but maybe I should submit a bug report for this.

I also always choose to create everything in one document.

Some of us are not as lucky: we have large office or residential developments, huge educational or cultural buildings/facilities/campuses to deal with, not only single houses.

Then read the rest of my post. I also said that when the project is becomming too large (or is too large to begin with) I use multiple files. I just wanted to say that I prefer everything in one document because VW doesn't handle it that very well.

I create one layer for the site plan with north straight up the page, and one layer for each storey of the building. Then I link the building layers to the site plan so that I can rotate the building to sit on the site.

I use one layer for each storey of the building, and use classes to separate the various building elements.

I have written a Vectorworks Architect Tutorial manual that explains all of this in detail see it here...