500$ reward for a fix

I used to do interiors for which VW is well suited. When I moved into product design, I stuck with the program, though most designers use Rhino or Solidworks. I found workable ways to model a lot of stuff, that most users don't even realize can be done in Vectorworks.

Crucial to this is the ability to manipulate nurbs surfaces accurately. To do this, I have to be able to snap lines, objects or 3D locuses to the individual vertices in nurbs surfaces.

Somewhere between VW2008, which was my last version, and the present VW2011, this ability was lost. Most users haven't realized this, because they never need to use this feature, but I do - all the time.

I have tried to explain the problem in the thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=146675#Post146675

But I guess noone really cares and Tech Support doesn't answer my mail.

So I want all the new cool features of VW20011, but I can no longer model my stuff - and I already invested more than 1200$ in the upgrade. Bummer.

So here is a deal:

If anyone can provide a fix, I'll give them a 500$ reward. It may not be much for the work involved, but I am not rich and this is what I can spare. I don't know much about programming, but the points are clearly there - defined in 3D space, so it should be possible to build some kind of snap function or alternative solution.

Workable fixes include:

1. The ability simply to snap to these vertices (prefered)

2. The ability to extract the position of all vertices in a surface and automatically place a group of 3D locuses at their exact position (using a script or an addon to the extract tool)

3. The ability to create a mesh object based on the position of the vertices in a nurbs surface (shaped like the rubberbands, that appear, when you use 3D reshape on a surface)

These are the vertices, that I am talking about (represented by blue, square dots):

help3.png

and this is how a group of 3D locuses placed in the position of the vertices would look like:

help4.png

At least 10 objects involved in creating the model below (made in VW2008) could not have been done in VW2011, so I hope, I get some sense of importance across.

boathull.JPG

I hope someone will meet this challenge.

Sorry, for the regression - but we just fixed it today - which will be available with SP2. Thanks for reporting.

That is great news BiplabNNA! I feel love again. I may be a drama queen, but for some days there, my future looked bleak and scarry.

And thank you for the feedback to Robert as well. It is a bit disheartening to be refered to the local dealer for 'further support'.

A distantly related irony:

In the 1970s or early 1980s Tuborg was advertised in the USA as the Golden Beer of Danish Kings. At the same time in Scandinavia, Tuborg cans showed caricatures of two drinking enthusiasts dressed in ragged clothing (bums) sitting by their campfire. One posed the question (paraphrased): What is the best time to drink Tuborg? The other answered: Any time! (or perhaps All the Time!).

-B