Separate app optimised for converting VW files

Christiaan

Question

I wish we had a separate application for converting VW files (of any version to another with great fidelity).

This app would be optimised for batch converting files, including a robust logging system for picking up where you left off if something goes wrong (I once installed VW on our server and tried to batch convert all our files to the latest version but it kept crashing and made a complete mess)

This app could be installed on/as a server so that any VW clients on the network could use it to convert files as well.

This app, and the programming for converting VW files, would be developed by an engineer working full time on just this, as is the case for IFC and DWG.

Edit: to clarify, this is about converting VW files to different version VW files. Not to another file types.

Edited by Christiaan

8 answers to this question

I saw a post here recently suggesting Autodesk invested $576.1 million in R&D for 2009 so doing a Google search found a web page suggesting this but cannot be sure

I think whatever NV spends must be primarily focused on improving VW core functions rather than as an example an application for iOS or now so we can upgrade files from one version to another

I do not know what difficulties the engineers have run into because of new functions over the last two or three versions like Rotate Plan, reset Origin etc etc

Competition out there with apps like Revit etc seemingly may be pressuring NV

The introduction of the C4D rendering engine is a step in the right direction because it utilises resources from one NAG app into another and I wonder if that is how NAG should go in the future

Perhaps as users we need to be a little patient and evaluate VW on how NAG can combine or allow contribution from their apps ? as an example import from ArchiCAD into VW rather than spending on backwards compatibility

The way forward ? could it be for NAG to tie together its suite of products into vertical alignment

Edited by Ozzie

Stability stands above all else, with an unstable product even the most dedicated users will tire and change platform! Version compatibility falls under stability in my book.....thousands of hours are put into symbols, templates, details etc etc not being able to simply convert and import these into the latest version is a HUGE set back!

vincent, totally agree, having a nightmare with our templates and symbols converted from 2008 to 2010 to 2011, makes me feel like we should get a version we are happy with and stick with it (2008 in my opinion), and only bother upgrading if we see a new tool/function which would greatly enhance our capabilities, we may get left behind a little in terms of new bells and whistles, but we would be able to produce work on time and within budget as a result of not having to constantly deal with upgrade related problems

We still have some users on VW12.5 (a long story about the timing of the credit crunch)....one of whom received a DWG file yesterday that wouldn't import to VW2008...so I imported it in the evaluation version of VW2011, then exported it back as far as it would go from there...VW2008.....then opened it in VW2008 and exported it back to version 12.5....all worked fine....but could have been easier...

Now if Vectorworks Viewer could be beefed up to import DWGs right up to the current DWG spec.....AND handle VW file conversion...that would be lovely.

Still gets my Vote, Christiaan!

i'd just be happy if i could open old VW files with out constant complaints that the file is unreadable, or after a few hours work being told that the imported file "Maybe Corrupt" because the current can't read the legacy, but opens fine in the last version it was previously saved in. . . . . . ???

Vincent, you're right, this is a stability problem.

Monkey, i'd upgrade more frequently too if i could trust VW to read older files . . . without the bells . . . .

Chris D, yeah it's a real time waster, back and forth, to and fro . . . .

We REALLY do need a GOOD translator! VW to VW.