Archicad

arqui_barr

At the recent Texas Society of Architects convention, I visited the Archicad booth to get an introduction to their product. I'm not thinking of switching, but I like to stay current. I was impressed with their demo, and their verbal description of BIM Server, although that wasn't part of the demo.

They gave me a trial disc, and I installed it to get a feel for the program.

I've experimented with Archicad twice before this, none of which is truly relevant, but I'll point out that I was able to tryout Archicad in undergrad school in the mid 90's, and also in grad school in the late 90's.

It's always seemed easier to me to draw in Vectorworks, and this time its still the same. The VW interface seems streamlined and more polished, and the icons are both more meaningful and more aesthetically pleasing.

I realize I use Vectorworks day in and day out, so obviously Archicad is going to feel less intuitive, but that's not what I was expecting. I was expecting it to be more intuitive. Although getting Archicad into a 3d perspective view is certainly more intuitive that Vectorworks.

I was wondering if anyone else would comment on the intuitive nature of Vectorworks vs Archicad.

Thanks,

I was wondering if anyone else would comment on the intuitive nature of Vectorworks vs Archicad.

Oj that's a hard one, depends on who you ask and what tools you're talking about.....

....here are some comments about ArchiCAD vs VWs I made earlier:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=29692&Number=146096#Post146096

ArchiCAD is mainly developed for/by architects and thus as an architect doing straight forward 'architecture' you will probably appreciate it's layout and recognize the workflow (don't know if this falls under intuitiveness). however as soon as you are in need of any type of customization/flexibility you'll be frustrated by ArchiCAD.

When it comes to singling out specific tools I guess it's a draw, certain tools are very intuitive ie slab tool others are lagging far behind ie stair tool, wall joining.......because VW treads the middle path between PIO environment and free form modeling.

I have recently tried formulating a good way of comparing the 2 and the best I can come up with is a metaphor using military vehicles (bare with me):

VW is a Hummer and ArchiCAD is a tank, ie. both are used by the military as military vehicles.

The Hummer is relatively small, nimble and flexible, it can be converted to a personnel carrier, gunship, medical vehicle etc. you can even take it to town however when the going gets tough it can bog down.

A tank is used as only a tank and it does it well! (sure you can take it to town but it will not feel right :) ) however when the going gets tough it keeps going and gets the job done.

Edited by Vincent C

The real strength in Vectorworks' intuitiveness lies in its 2D polys. I'm not sure, but Vw is the only one I know of that can convert 2D polys into 3D AEC objects (perimeter walls, floors, etc.). And the opposite is true, too -- take a 3D model, and convert to 2D polys or lines.

And with Vw2011, I am excited about how 2D polys and linework can be tilted up in 3D for use in modeling - as soon as I figure out the work flow.