Horizontal sections?

dhruv

Exactly what was said.

Create a viewport on a sheet layer. Set to view to an elevation (so you are looking at the front/side/whatever).

Run the Create Section Viewport command and draw the section line across the elevation viewport at the height you want the section. This will create a new section viewport showing a horizontal section at whatever height you drew it.

At least in VW2011, you can create the new horizontal section viewport on either a sheet layer or a design layer.

Okay...i have tried what you guys suggested. This is what happens.

1. When I cut the section in the design layer to a another design layer....the model appears in the target design layer...i switch the view to front and select the create section viewport command ...the view automatically changes to plan.

2. When I cut the section in the design layer to a sheet layer....the model appears as elevation in target sheet layer... now to cut a horizontal section i should be able to change to a elevation view...but the view drop down menu is fixed on top/plan. So i am not able to cut another section.

Am i missing something here.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all the help. I figured what i was doing wrong.

I had created created a section viewport to be put on a sheet layer ( by making the section line outside the building)

What worked was that i had to make a normal viewport to be inserted on a sheet layer and change the view to front in the object info palette ( i was earlier looking to change the view in the "top" view dropdown menu.) and then use the section viewport command, to display it on a sheet layer.

In fact you can cut the section viewport on the sheet layer and choose it to be displayed on design layer also. That way you can have 3D perspective view of the horizontal section.

Thanks again.

• 4 years later...

This may work, but is totally absurd. Why can you cut a view port section vertically on a design layer, but can't cut one horizontally? You have to go through this extra step of creating a VP that you don't want. This is VERY confusing and I hope this is fixed in future versions.

MHBrown