New rendering engine in VW2011 looks pretty good

billtheia

I've just been messing around with VW2011 and it looks like the updated rendering engine is pretty sweet. I'm not sure about the performance claims but the quality certainly seems to be there. Indirect lighting option produces really nice results with pretty quick render times. The attached image took 1 min. 23 sec. to render at 3338x1880, with quality set to "all low" and indirect lighting set to 2 bounces.

Here are a couple of samples:

Final Quality,

One Directional light, one HDRI

all settings turned up to 11

Exported at 2000 pixels across

approx 3 hours to export.

It's *much* quicker if the curvy reflective/ transparent objects are removed

I haven't tried with lower quality settings to see what the time difference would be.

[img:left]http://propstuff.com.au/variousimages/AscotVale-distant.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://propstuff.com.au/variousimages/AscotVale-close.jpg[/img]

fullsize of close-up

Edited by propstuff
Here are a couple of samples:

Final Quality,

One Directional light, one HDRI

all settings turned up to 11

Exported at 2000 pixels across

approx 3 hours to export.

It's *much* quicker if the curvy reflective/ transparent objects are removed

Those look great!

When you say approx 3 hours to "export" at 2000 pixels across, what do you mean exactly, where is this setting and where are you "exporting" to?

Thanks

Not exactly.

You dont have to wait for the whole thing to render before the export command.

Start it rendering, (I usually wait for a little for it to get started but I dont know if thats necessary) then hit esc to stop the render. Then go to the Export dialogue and do whatever settings you want.

The "full" screen image on mine minus pallettes etc is about 1000 pixels across, so a 2000 pixel image is about 4 times that size, so about 4 times longer to export.

Note: with the new engine stopping the render with esc is now certain and immediate. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just thought I would add my 2c. I am very much enjoying watching

all eight cores max out when I hit render if I knew 2011 would

have such a vastly upgraded render engine then I would have built

a 2 CPU work station but I am still happy that VW is now using 100%

of available CPU cycles. even the artistic options (that I mostly use) are multi threaded.. yeay!

I still have a project on the go using VW2010 and rendering anything seems archaic.

cheers

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Nicholas:

Two questions: is the HDRI shown included in Designer

No,

it's one I found on the twitterblog.

search for; Free HDRI rendering.

there are a few sites.

Note The C4D engine does not seem to cope properly with sphere (probe)mapped HDRIs only LatLong

is a virtual rear end comfortable in those chairs?

Virtual steatopygia might be subject to linear U-V deformation in the -W direction, but the prototype is actually as comfortable as any wooden chair. Perhaps moreso because the slats are somewhat springy. It was shortlisted for "best Prototype" at the annual furniture industry show when I entered it, but no bannana.

Thanks for your inspiring renderings.

thankyou

Thanks Kaare,

The Gentlemen's Area would be quite safe.

As for physics: all the ribs are notched together, and the core of each rib has a square hole through which a 12mm square steel bar passes and joins all the ribs, and tube pieces from one end to the other. Then glued up and end bolts tightened.

Safe as houses. :-)

NicholasDunand_Volito5_sml.jpg

NicholasDunand_Volito3_sml.jpg

NicholasDunand_Volito_detail.jpg

Edited by propstuff

I am not so sure about the increase in speed claimed by Nemetschek for the new Renderworks. If you use the textures prvovided with Vectorworks - sure - but I notice, that they have all been set to zero percent blurriness, which is often a decrease in realism relative to the textures provided in earlier versions. As soon as I set the blurriness higher, the rendering times explode.

I can get really good plastic and matte surfaces with the new rendering engine, but it is hard to get good contrasts in metalic materials - they tend to look like plastic too. I hope, I get right one of theese days...

I wonder if there is something missing here? Something, that is implemented in C4D, which has not been implemented in Renderworks?

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent job

Those 3 images of the chair were generated with renderworks 2011 or I missunderstood an they are just photos of a real prototype?

If not, congratulations!, they look very reallistic.

I always wonder why there aren`t better pictures on the gallery 2011, if renderworks really changed why there arent better images or examples showing it on the web?

• 2 months later...

The chairs in the interior views are renderings.

You can click on the link in the original image posting to see the full size export of the 'close-up' render.

If you look at that you'll see that the C4D engine does a pretty good job of the chairs. (and the rest of the lighting)

The chair on it's own is the actual prototype photographed.

sorry to confuse.

Edited by propstuff