Irrigation Module

Thom

Question

As I have been asking for 10 +/- years, when will we get an "real" irrigation module or at least will VW state that they do not plan on providing an irrigation module so that one of our 3rd party developers will undertake the project without worrying about VW taking their work from them.

18 answers to this question

And please consult those of us who do irrigation design for a living. I just noticed in one of the spreadsheets the record is for 10' pieces. Real irrigation suppliers sell in 20' only and "pieces" do not count anyway. Need total lengths of each size.

the current irrigation modules do not allow your own polygons or polylines either. I covered this topic in my user group several months ago. My suggestion was to make your own symbols and spreadsheets to count exactly what you want, until Vectorworks does it for you. you can buy my manual here:

http://www.amazon.com/Irrigation-Tools-Vectorworks-Training-ebook/dp/B003B66HXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3QI763M62X7GQ&s=digital-text&qid=1287171398&sr=1-1

Jonathan

Actually, I do have a full compliment of intelligent symbols. I do have problems getting the spreadsheets to work right, but am getting closer.

To begin with, a simple logic script would go along ways towards automating piping routines. Actual hydraulic formulas could be added later.

VW was going to do a module, shortly after one of the 3rd party guys said he would work on it, then dropped the project.

Robert Anderson used to believe that not many users really needed irrigation design. I never could convince him that even in Seattle, Wa at 57 inches per year, irrigation was required on all commercial and many residential projects.

I know several LA firms that will not even consider VWL until there is a full fledge irrigation module.

Thom, this is very true, for me it is very frustrating to not be able to produce Irrigation designs effectively. Every quality job here has Irrigation. We are locally starting to see a surge in Drip for turf. And I design and produce a fair amount of Green Roofs, all with irrigation. I do not feel that VW can be a full Landscape design tool till ALL aspects of landscape design are covered.

I also feel that if the can produce these missing sections, they will excel in the Land design field.

If VW said they were not going to support this module for at least 5 years, I would go looking for monies to have someone develop the program. Much of the work has been done by others and should be easily ported over.

Just a side note: The piping run tool will produce automatic labeling. With just a slight modification could be used for an irrigation pipe tool. Much superior to what they are giving us.

I agree, If VW was willing to discuss real timelines with its users, we could decide if we need to program ourselves. I would be more than happy to design (invest) in a system, and sell it back to VW or the open market. This goes for all wish list items. Let us know if it is in the works and a rough timeline and let us make a decision to move forward.

With Autodesk in the MAC market now and the adaptable programs such as LandFX possibly available with all the features, I would like to know.

I am a hardcore VW believer but if I am standing behind VW they could at least inform me (us) of whats on the table.

Just sayin!

I agree. A native VW program is the best just makes it easier, and yes there are so many partially ready to go systems just start there. I want an everything for irrigation tool but lets just start with good basics.

VW is always looking to expand there market, so lets build on the obvious systems where we need.

I will always ask for lots extra stuff like every one else, but irrigation is an obvious tool for landscape design and it is in my opinion being ignored. VW should just tell us where they actually stand.

Eric G. if your out there do you have an answer.

Eric is going to show me every thing he knows on worksheets (he doesn't know this yet) but maybe we can paste together something that is a start.