Localisation of Vectorworks for UK building terminology

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to invite you to contribute to a new website aimed at collaboratively documenting UK-related feature requests and bugs, the first of which is the localisation of building terminology:

http://needleandmortar.com/wiki/Vectorworks_vs_UK_building_terminology

The website is a wiki so anyone can edit it. Please feel free to contribute.

At a recent meeting some UK users, including myself, were asked by Robert Anderson to provide a list of UK building terminology to help them localise the UK version of VW. I've set up the wiki specifically to facilitate this but may expand its scope to cover more later.

Kind regards,

Christiaan

Guest Wes Gardner

Yep, wattle and daub all the way baby!

No seriously, thank you Christiaan for developing the start of what can be helpful to all.

For my own edification, I'd like to have a better understanding of wall types, dampproofing, etc. and the terminology associated used throughout the world.

• 5 weeks later...

I very much doubt that terminology helps. The Texan/Marylandian McMansions have little in common with the rest of the world.

Industry practices are the important thing.

Having contributed to the comments on the door tool, I can now stand back and see just how far the tool is from being useful to UK architects. No wonder we hardly use any of the PIO objects that VW provides...

• 2 months later...
NemV supplying more and more tools as non-localisable C++ ones makes it very difficult for a distributor to do any localisation ... Plain translation is not localisation.

Well it will be interesting to see what they do to the window and door tools as a result of this project. I don't expect them to be translated into UK english/usage. Then they'd be shipping a UK version to everyone. They'll have to make them localisable. I just hope they have the resources to do this for v2012, otherwise we'll have to wait yet another year to get going with BIM.

From the meeting we had with NV we were asked to provide standard sizes for things like furniture and fittings, as a kind of low fruit strategy for localising the UK install. But it was the architects that prioritised the localisation of the window and door tools. Without localised versions of these tools we're trapped in the UK.