Can't crop viewports

CBtek

For some reason I can no longer edit the crop of new viewports. I have compared older viewports to new ones and can't find any differences. I have scoured the setups, preferences, properties and can't find anything out of wack. The old viewports in edit crop mode come up as editable polygons, but new ones don't - it also says Crop:No in Object Info. Viewports are created on an active Class, all visiblities are on. Everything appears to but ok but i can not crop any new viewports.

What have I done to cause this and how do I fix it?

Yes I'm in edit crop mode

Reboot - no change

Open older doc - I can edit crop

Open new doc on someone elses comp - can't edit crop either my viewports - can edit theirs

I can edit crop on viewports I created a week ago but nothing since

No change to my comp - no upgrades - no rebuilds - no new software.

Thanks Pat

I'm simply trying to creating a viewport of the ground floor on a sheet layer - nothing fancy. I selected the floor plan, went to a sheet and created a new viewport but the same thing happened - I cant edit it unitl I draw a triangle.

I'm sure it worked before without having to to anything. At least the trangle thing gets me out of trouble for now but it's tedious to have to do and I have to go back and fix up all the other ones now.

Edited by CBtek

I want to place a portion of a design layer on a sheet so I can print it....You can't create a viewport displaying the design layer you're creating in it on.

It doesn't matter where I create viewports, I still can't edit crop until I draw a triangle in edit crop mode. I didn't have to do that before but now I do. Why? What has changed?

I never knew I could do that, and the crop is editable.

I've always created vieports on a sheet and linked it to the design layer and then croped it. But recently, for whatever reason, I can't do that anymore.

Your way makes more sense anyway.

Thanks Ray

You are both right.

Ray's way is often the best, just set up the design layer they way you want it to look in the sheet layer and put a 2D object where you want the crop to be and then run the Create Viewport Command.

But you can also just start on a Sheet Layer and Create Viewport. It is then up to the user to pick the layer/classes/view/scale/render mode/etc. If you want a crop you then have to go into the Edit Crop mode and draw a crop object.

• 1 month later...

mattOC, a Viewport is (by definition) a 2d View. It can be a 2d view of a 3d object. Cropping is the same in any viewport. You can create the crop during or after creation of the viewport, you can edit the crop after creation, and there can only be one single cropping object (which can be simple, ie: rectangle, or complex, ie: multi-vertex polygon, etc.)

Any view should work. If you set your design layer view to right rear iso, then draw a rectangle covering what you wish to have in the VP, then with the rectangle selected go to Create VP and say yes "use as cropping object" you will see that it works as expected. Try it and see.... Hope that helps.

PS: You have an enviable job. The Smithsonian is awesome! Very happy to see VW's being used there ;-)

Hey,

I think I know what's going on here, have a document with 4 viewports on it. The crops put a box around each viewport as I save them on the sheet. When I go back to alter the crop (or rather, just to get rid of the box around the object in the viewport, I delete it, and then the bounding box for that object is HUGE. It goes way off to one side.

What I should have been asking the whole time, I think is, is there a way to

a- get rid of the outline of the crop

or

b- controle the highlighted area if I do delete the bounding box

I don't know know if that made sense, but I can tell you what , from here, people ho've mastered VW have the enviable position. Yeah, I'm only half kidding,the Smithsonian is great.

Thanks for your help with this.

-M

Matt,

If you 'get rid of the outline of the crop', the VP then shows the whole of the layer you've used for the VP.

To get "rid" of the bounding crop, don't delete it; just change it to either a white line in the Attributes box, or to "no" colour, or transparent.

That way you don't see it on your Sheet Layer but can go back and edit it too if you want in the future.

One thing; a white line crop will show OK on a white background but show as a line on anything dark, like the lines in another viewport or objects on the Sheet Layer like other lines or text.

Mitch

Mitch is correct. One way to think of things in VW's is that "an object is an object". Therefore, a "Cropping Object" is just like any other object and it's attributes can be set using the attributes palette (or "by class", but that's a story for another day).

PS to your PS, well I guess it's still a job... and like they say, work is a four letter word. At least sometimes ;-)