shadow mapping resolution

Under Custom Render Settings, be sure Shadow mapped shadows is selected, use ray tracing is selcted and set to about 4 or 5, and Use Anti-Aliasing is selected. With Anti-Aliasing turned on, the rendering will take a little longer to output however the shadows should not be as 'crisp'.

That is about as soft of a shadow as you are going to be able to get unfortunately.

Here are two alternate suggestions:

You may be able to apply a colored light, other than bright white to get a little softer shadow. You can also place the directional light furhter away from the object so that the shadow effect is dispursed out further.

A customer I worked with in regards to a similar topic was able to get a little softer rendering using a light with a slight yellow hue to it. It didn't seem to alter the color of the objects too much, however the shadow effect was more of what he desired.

Thanks.

I don't understand, though, why ray-tracing depth would have anything to do with shadows. In a conventional raytracer (e.g. POV-Ray), the depth kicks in only when reflection(s) are involved. Does VW not use this feature in the same manner?

I also don't understand why a _directional_ light's position would affect anything. Unless I'm mistaken, even objects behind the light source object are lit, right?

As for the hue, I always do use a yellowish tint, and a low-level slightly bluish light from the other direction. Does the shadow softening carry over to printouts?

In VW 8.5.2 and 9.5 (b7, I think), there was artifacting along the base of walls. Why is that?