Sign in to follow this  
nikolauz

newbie: remove one face from a cube

Hi,

I am moving my first steps with Vectorworks.

How can I remove one face from a cube, so that I can see inside?

Thank you,

Nicola

Edited by nikolauz

You could convert the cube to nurbs, ungroup and you will have 6 individual sides.

Nicola,

Something important to remember; with Vectorworks solids ARE truly analogous solids, not merely "watertight" joined surfaces (like SketchUp). In order to see inside a cube, the cube must be composed of 6 surfaces, not a six-sided solid.

I think what he might have meant is to build the cube from 6 extrudes (or 3d polys or nurbs surfaces) and then delete one of them for an inside view... Like this:

StaticDos, Yes, the shell tool works really really well to create a cube with one face deleted. Believe it or not I had never tried it until I read your post. Thanks! P

I think you want what Ray posted.

StaticDos, Yes, the shell tool works really really well to create a cube with one face deleted. Believe it or not I had never tried it until I read your post. Thanks! P

Really? Wow and you call yourself a VW addict, you should be ashamed of yourself.

StaticDOS

You might do us reading the board a favor and lighten up. Peter was just trying to help with what came to mind. He has helped countless others with their issues over the years.

Nobody has control over the Apprentice, Journeyman, Addict subtitles which I have always found to be annoying. He happens to be a moderator and they get this tacked on by default.

Anyone who is comfortable enough to acknowledge a shortcoming deserves more respect than you gave. Besides, I seems Ray's suggestion was the best.

If I misread your intent please advise.

Another cube solid I like to use when I can is the Box Object. It is a plug-in tool that can be summoned from the Workspace Editor. Just put it in your 3D Modeling Toolset, and you're ready to go.

The Box Object makes rectangular holes in any combination of 3 directions, but the holes go completely through the object.

Thanks Bob I'd forgot about that, and the 'solids' tool set. I want to make a masonry oven (y'know, one of those egg-like outdoor ones found in southern Europe) and the parabaloid object is just the thing