Print Current View ?

I have a drawing set up for E size paper, and I'm trying to print a copy to 11x17 paper.

According to the manual, I should be able to select "Print Current View", and with the printer set to 11x17 landscape get a one page copy. However, VW wants to print 16 pages at scale. I tried changing the "Print Area" to 11x17 - now VW reduces the drawing and prints 2 pages, but the drawing is split between the 2 pages and not all of it is printed either way.

Thanks

Set the page set up with the E size sheet from the File menu in VectorWorks. Then go to Page>Set Print Area. There is a setting for Size: followed by a drop down box. Select "One Page" from the file sizes. In the left portion of the dialog box you should see one single grey box on the grid. This lets you know that the page will be printing to one page. If you see more than one grey box connected in the grid, then you do not have "One Page" selected in the drop down box.

Without One Page selected, you might see several grye boxes on the grid in the Set Print Area dialog box. The grey boxes are marking the page breaks.

Please note, "print current view" will only print what you see on the screen. If you are zoomed in to where you are inside the print boundry box, you will only be able to print what you see on the screen.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,Thanks for your reply

I do not think I am being clear about my question. The file is set for E size paper, both under File/Print setup and Page/Set Print Area. No problem there. I would like to have a quick scratch version print to a smaller page. I zoom in so the window shows the area I want to print. I select File/Print. I select the printer and 8x11 paper. I check "Print Current View". I click ok. Then Vectorworks says "printing pages 1 through 24".

According to the manual, the Current view is scaled larger or smaller to fit the select page size.How do I make that happen?

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:
Set the page set up with the E size sheet from the File menu in VectorWorks. Then go to Page>Set Print Area. There is a setting for Size: followed by a drop down box. Select "One Page" from the file sizes. In the left portion of the dialog box you should see one single grey box on the grid. This lets you know that the page will be printing to one page. If you see more than one grey box connected in the grid, then you do not have "One Page" selected in the drop down box.

Without One Page selected, you might see several grye boxes on the grid in the Set Print Area dialog box. The grey boxes are marking the page breaks.

Please note, "print current view" will only print what you see on the screen. If you are zoomed in to where you are inside the print boundry box, you will only be able to print what you see on the screen.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

You want to have page setup always set to the paper you are currently/physicaly printing to. In this case 11x17.

Then in the page menu, you set the printable area to be what the plotter considers to be an E sized sheet. (Note, the best way to get this exactly is to select the plotter and E sized paper in page setup, then use the one page option, then once you have the measuremnets, you can set page setup back to the 11x17 settings and use Other in the set print area dialog.)

Once you have done this, if you do a normal prin to the 11x17 printer, it will tile the whole file. If you print with "Print Current View" enabled, it should print 1 page with whatever is currently in your window showing.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by David Ormsby:
Katie,Thanks for your reply

I do not think I am being clear about my question. The file is set for E size paper, both under File/Print setup and Page/Set Print Area. No problem there. I would like to have a quick scratch version print to a smaller page. I zoom in so the window shows the area I want to print. I select File/Print. I select the printer and 8x11 paper. I check "Print Current View". I click ok. Then Vectorworks says "printing pages 1 through 24".

According to the manual, the Current view is scaled larger or smaller to fit the select page size.How do I make that happen?

Once you switch from the E-size to the 81/2 x11" you must go to the Set Print Area command under the Page menu and change it to One Page.

Step By Step

1. Zoom to the part of the drawing you want to print.

2. Select the printer you want to print to.

3. Go to Page Set up under the File menu and set it to the correct page size (in your case 81/2 x 11)

4. Go to the Set Print Area under the Page menu and set it to one page

5. Print, make sure your setting are correct in the print dialogue and select the Print Current View Only option.

I do this several times a day without problems

Good Luck